Talk

Advanced search

Started SW last Thurs and have the mother of all headaches

(13 Posts)
Mull Wed 22-Jun-16 15:06:49

So I went to a SW meeting last Weds night and have been cracking on with the diet since last Thurs. I'm really pleased with it so far (early days, I have 5st to lose blush ) but I have a horrendous headache.

I'm sure it's sugar withdrawal as I used to eat loads of sugary snacks and am fully addicted to choc, biscuits and cakes. I'm still having Sultana Bran for breakfast and maybe a few syned Jaffa Cakes in the evening but my overall sugar consumption must have plummeted.

Has anyone else had this? How long did it last? Any tips to get through it? I am determined to push through this but would love to know there is an end in sight and how amazing I will feel on the other side wink

Thanks

paap1975 Wed 22-Jun-16 15:11:11

Congratulations on your healthy lifestyle change. Just from your title I was saying "sugar withdrawal". Don't worry, it will pass within a few days, but it's a strong sign that you were eating too much of it previously. As time goes by, you'll start to realise just how sweet things really are. I had to start avoiding high GI foods for a medical reason and there am shocked now by how sweet certain things are when I eat them.

emmaluvseeyore Wed 22-Jun-16 15:37:56

Make sure you're drinking lots of water! I don't know if it'll help with the sugar withdrawal, but you may be dehydrated.

I've been doing SW for over a year, and like paap, I find a lot of sugary things way too sweet now, particularly chocolate and jar sauces.

Mull Wed 22-Jun-16 16:02:47

Thanks for the replies! I'm trying to drink lots but will keep an eye on that.

Interesting that maybe the strength of the withdrawal is linked to how much sugar I was having. I used to eat loads blush . Recently I wasn't even interested in proper meals, I was just continually snacking. No wonder this is a big change!

VashtaNerada Wed 22-Jun-16 16:04:32

I get terrible migraines when my diet changes so it could be something like that? It should pass soon.

Mull Wed 22-Jun-16 22:17:15

I really hope so Vashta as this is horrible sad . Good job I am 'in the zone' and determined to change otherwise this would have scuppered me.

Jojay Wed 22-Jun-16 22:22:18

Yep, I had headaches when I started SW too but they passed after about a week. I think sugar withdrawal is a very likely explanation. I took paracetamol until they passed, no need to suffer!

DownstairsMixUp Wed 22-Jun-16 22:24:47

It's all the aspartame. I did sw and all the low fat stuff is packed full of it (muller lights for example) they stopped when I left sw. Now do higher fat high protein and feel better.

paap1975 Thu 23-Jun-16 08:41:00

Artificial sweeteners are not good in the long run as they contribute to keeping your liking for sweet-tasting things. The best thing is to move away from them altogether. The most difficult thing for me was what to drink. If that's a problem for you, try infusing water with things like lemon, mint, ginger, strawberries (not all together, obviously).

Mull Thu 23-Jun-16 17:23:11

Hmm I don't think it's aspartame as I'm trying to eat 'clean' so no processed fat free stuff. I have had 2-3 cans of Diet Coke (I know, I know!) but that's similar to usual. I've given up tea completely as I had 2 sugars in each one but can't bear sweeteners. I'm happy drinking water (saddo)!

So far no headache today. I'm exactly one week in so maybe turning a corner <hopeful>

maygirl Thu 23-Jun-16 18:16:13

Caffeine withdrawal causes headaches too, but it sounds like you are through it now, well done!

Mull Fri 24-Jun-16 11:25:58

Yep think it must be the double whammy of caffeine and sugar withdrawal. No headache so far today so, fingers crossed, I'm through it. On the plus side, I've lost 6lbs in 8 days! Yay!

maygirl Sat 25-Jun-16 11:20:20

Well done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now