Talk

Advanced search

Does it work by cutting calories or is it good science?

(10 Posts)
peachcake Thu 02-Jun-16 00:00:25

Can you tell me if slimming world works by cutting calories in order to lose weight or is it some magic food combining science?

I'm not sure whether to join or not. If it's just a way of cutting calories I would rather count them and eat what I want I think! However if it's some food combination approach maybe I should give it a try!

Does anyone know for sure? Can anyone advise me please?

madmother1 Thu 02-Jun-16 00:03:41

I just cut calories to 1500 and lost a stone. I've kept it off a year later. I just wrote all I ste in a book and exercised more smile

ChessieFL Thu 02-Jun-16 04:29:27

It's just generally eating more healthily - the crap is restricted and you fill up on fruit, veg, lean meat, fish, fat-free dairy and therefore reduce calories that way. The point of slimming world is that you don't need to worry about counting calories or weighing stuff - that's why I like it as I don't want to worry about weighing every single thing I eat to work out the calories in it!

Char22thom Thu 02-Jun-16 07:49:41

I did calorie counting for 3months, lost half a stone quickly then stuck for weeks not losing anything at all. I then joined SW and have lost 10lb in 4weeks and am enjoying it much more, I feel like I can eat lots of food and I don't feel deprived at all, I wish I had started sooner rather than calorie counting and would prob be at target weight by now! x

Allyoucaneat Thu 02-Jun-16 21:07:29

For me, I like slimming world because there is always something to can have to at if I am hungry 'free food'. Whereas with calorie counting when you've bate you're calories they're gone for the day and it can feel restrictive. Where are with Sw I never feel deprived. If I want something 'bad' I can have it by saving syns for it.

tabulahrasa Fri 03-Jun-16 05:13:27

It's cutting calories, but without having to go hungry or do things like weigh everything you eat.

That's what's good about it though, you can make your dinner and eat it rather than having to weigh out your pasta or work out how many calories are in a recipe.

GasLightShining Fri 03-Jun-16 21:11:42

All these plans are about eating more healthier. As others have said with Slimming World there is a lot that don't need to be weighed

I have lost 16.5 lbs in 14 weeks. Not as good a loss as a lot of people but that has included a lot of meals out.

EmilyK83 Sat 04-Jun-16 09:17:18

Definitely recommend SW - takes the thinking out of weight loss, to some extent! They describe it as a lifestyle change rather than a diet - it's essentially low fat, low sugar eating.

The problem I've found with calorie counting in the past is that it gets boring, and that's when I give up. With SW though, you quickly learn what's great for main meals and what you should be synning, it's second nature to me now. 21 weeks in, 3st 5.5lb down...

froubylou Sat 04-Jun-16 09:56:43

It's a bit of both really.

The speed foods are the sciencey bit. They are.low fat and low calorie but filling. The free foods are still low fat but higher in calories but you don't have the opportunity to overeat them because you should be eating 1/3 speed foods which satisfy your appetite.

The syns keep you happy so you can have treats and the a/b choices give you your fibre and calcium.

I think it's an old fashioned way of eating. Before convenience foods and before we all had loads of cash to spend on shopping with 24 hour supermarkets we would have eaten smaller portions of meat, a lot more vegetables and a biscuit or chocolate would have been a treat.

So it's really going back to the basics.

Tightjeans Fri 24-Jun-16 00:08:52

I like that thinking froubylou!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now