Loat 6stone but still feel fat, how come?

(10 Posts)
Dappy28 Sat 28-May-16 23:49:09

Ive lost 6 stone. Size 20 to a size 12. For as long as i can remember i thought i was fat, even as a teenager. But on reflection i wasnt. But then i got pregnant and i really did get fat. Two children later and months of exercise and healthy eating i have lost 6 stone... but i still feel and think Im fat. I dont feel at all how i thought i would feel at this weight. Logically i think i cant be that fat as im in a size 12 but my real thought is that i am fat. This is causing so much confusion over what to put as my target weight has anyone else experienced this? Is it just my mind needs to catch up with weightlosa or something else?

ssd Sat 28-May-16 23:51:45

first of all a really big well done to you!! thats fantastic!

I would think maybe have a word with the slimming world leader, she/he would maybe have advice about this?

KindDogsTail Sat 28-May-16 23:56:46

It seems amazing to me, but could your worry over this be a worry over something else? Do you think you might get help from a counsellor?

Dappy28 Sun 29-May-16 00:00:41

I hadnt thoight of that but knowing her quite well i can picture the convo . . .youve done amazing, look fabulous etc . . Its what everyone keeps saying but I dont know how to make myself believe it

VinoEsmeralda Sun 29-May-16 00:00:45

I would maintain for a bit and see how you go. Takes a while to get used to The new you. You can be 3lbs under or over andif you get under you can then decide to move your target by half a stone (only 4lbs to go).

Well done btw,amazing loss!

Dappy28 Sun 29-May-16 00:01:36

Not that I can think of, the only thing thats ever got me down was my weight.

KindDogsTail Sun 29-May-16 00:06:23

Well see how you go and if your feeling about it settles down.
What did you weigh when you were your normal self originally say aged 22- without diets and so on? Could trust that to be your natural basic or target weight but add a little to be realistic after your two children?

GinBunny Sun 29-May-16 00:23:24

Congratulations Dappy, that's a great achievement!
I get what you are saying completely. I've slimmed down from an size 18, today was in my size small top and 12 jeans and in the mirror I didn't look any different, still fat, still huge wobbly tummy, bouncy boobs and fat thighs. I don't know what the answer is, I guess we get so used to seeing ourselves bigger that that is what we process when we look in the mirror. I actually felt slimmer 6 months ago when I got to a size 14 then I do now, even though I've lost more since then. But - you're not alone if that helps at all thanks

EmilyK83 Sun 29-May-16 07:51:39

You're definitely not alone - I've gone from an 18 to a 12, and like GinBunny says, I look in the mirror and all I can see is wobbly thighs and a belly that I want to get rid of. I even check labels to make sure things are on the right hangers in shops, as I feel like a size 12 doesn't fit!

Have been doing some reading online and it seems like a common thing - used to being big for so long that it takes a while to register that actually, our figures are lovely now thank you very much, and apparently our brains should catch up with our bodies at some point...!

Tbh though, as women, there's always going to be something we're not happy with when it comes to our bodies...

YouMakeMyDreams Sun 29-May-16 08:14:22

I was much slimmer when I met dh but still looked in the mirror and thought I was fat but I had been fat before that. Even now I've put a bit back on again I don't think I look much different the only visual I have is a pair of jeans that seem teeny tiny but I wore them and not long ago either.
With me part of it is I still see the imperfections. I've had 3dc so my tummy is always still a bit wobbly. Not flat and stretch mark free the way I imagine I'll look. I think I expect to see a different person to me in the mirror rather than me slimmer.

You've done amazingly well. Try and maintain for a bit and get used to your new size. Drag out an old pair of trousers and put them on and see how big you once were.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now