Talk

Advanced search

Fat free Fromage Frais is vile is it not?

(9 Posts)
Allofaflumble Sun 15-May-16 14:49:53

Years ago I made a recipe from SW. It was pasta with a creamy (their description) sauce made from ff fromage frais. It was truly vile and ended up in the bin.

My question is, have you ever made anything in which fromage frais did enhance it? Or is it a marmite thing?

We used to mix it with the sugar free jelly to make a blamange which disguised it's sour taste. I've never dared put it in anything since the pasta disasta.

Solina Sun 15-May-16 15:26:23

I like to eat it on its own with fruit/berries but then I grew up eating fromage frais and quark so enjoy it.
Its great in various sweet things but its not great in anything savoury though, it just doesnt work.

emmaluvseeyore Sun 15-May-16 16:44:59

We use it in curry sauce, but you have to stir it through right at the end of cooking after taking the pan off the heat.

nomoreheroes Mon 16-May-16 11:28:26

I'm not a fan. It tastes sour and chalky to me. I don't mind quark as much (especially mixed with frozen berries, zapped in the microwave with a little sweetener). I think ff plain greek style yogurt in preferable for making dips or adding to curries etc.

Allofaflumble Tue 17-May-16 00:08:25

Thanks for the answers. Dont think I will try it again. I quite like Quark. I get these sugar free syrups and mix them in with Quark and it tastes,really lovely as a topping.

Eveninties Sun 22-May-16 16:59:48

I always thought quark was just German name for fromage Frais... Seems I'm wrong, what is the difference??

nomoreheroes Sun 22-May-16 18:44:24

Not sure what the difference is...quark is not as tangy or chalky in my experience. Apparently quark is the same as fromage blanc but fromage frais has live cultures (if I've read Wikipedia right!!). Think quark might be more stable in sauces too.

Galmptongirl Sun 22-May-16 18:53:43

I always have it in half a melon for breakfast! And also make a kind of coffee mousse(?) by dissolving tsp expresso powder in drop of boiling water with tsp of sweetener. Then just add fromage frais. Surprisingly nice!

fuzzyfozzy Sun 22-May-16 19:11:35

I've started having it in overnight oats, but struggling to get on with it. I used to use muller lites but ff is cheaper, and more natural I think??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now