Talk

Advanced search

Is it just me, or does anyone else dislike the tast of yoghurt in other foods?

(10 Posts)
BasinHaircut Mon 15-Feb-16 08:06:11

I like yoghurt, but not so much that I often crave one. Pre-diet I didn't really buy them and if I did, I'd probably have to throw at least one out because I hadn't eaten them before they went out of date. I'm also more a fruit corner or activia creamy person and think Muller lights are vile (although the Greek ones are ok).

Anyway, so many SW recipes call for a fat free yoghurt. Think overnight oats, SW pancakes, curries, even pastas dishes.

But I just can not get on board with the taste of yoghurt, especially in savoury foods. In a curry/pasta I've been substituting quark, which does the job better IMO.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel the same?

nbee84 Mon 15-Feb-16 08:14:04

I dislike yogurt after eating one that was off when I was about 8 - never been able to eat one since. I can still taste it in curries, soups etc. I managed to lose 3st on sw without going near the stuff.

Ragwort Mon 15-Feb-16 08:23:50

I agree and I also use Quark.

I am on slimming world and I do follow the recipes and adapt my own but the taste is different to 'full fat' recipes - you can tell a 'real' lasagne from a slimming world lasagne a mile off. I don' think the recipes are as 'family friendly' as SW makes out; I know I need to adapt my food tastes if I want to lose weight .... but my DH & DS (who don't need to lose weight) certainly preferred my previous style of cooking grin - and yes, of course they know how to cook their own meals but in my attempt to lose weight I prefer to be 'in charge' in the kitchen.

BasinHaircut Mon 15-Feb-16 21:12:01

ragwort that's a shame that your family don't like the SW meals. My DH is loving them (he is doing SW with me though).

I agree that they do not taste like full fat versions but in all honesty I am really enjoying the meals. Just not the yoghurt!

calzone Mon 15-Feb-16 21:16:04

I love yoghurt so don't mind but I refuse to make lasagne with yoghurt and eggs.

Bleurgh.

I invented a fat free cauliflower sauce for lasagne which DH loves. I make chicken spicy rice which the boys like, SW soups which we all eat.....I think SW is really family friendly actually now I think about it.....

Ragwort Tue 16-Feb-16 09:02:53

I agree that all the SW recipes sound perfectly family friendly, but I guess it depends on how fussy your family are grin - my DH and DS love fatty, oily meals <yuk> - neither of them have a weight problem, DH is in his late 50s and does a heavy, manual, outside job - yet still looks fit and younger than many of his friends. grin.

I do prepare some meals that they will eat - we are having the spicy chicken rice meal tonight and I do shepherd's pie etc the SW way (and DH puts butter on the mashed potato !!).

The main thing is that I am focussed on MY diet needs, they can add fat/oil/butter as they wish.

BasinHaircut Tue 16-Feb-16 11:18:55

I think it's key to making the diet work, that you find a way of making it family friendly. Maybe not meals, but the majority.

My mum has been a member of SW, WW, Rosemary Connely, etc etc for as long as I can remember. She has lost and gained the same stone for probably 30 years. She never ate what she prepared for the rest of the family and because she couldn't be arsed to cook another full meal, she would have lots of boring salads and jacket potatoes. She is a prime example of how not to do it! She is still doing it now and it's only her and dad at home. She will put all of the effort into preparing his meal, at the expense of her own!

BasinHaircut Tue 16-Feb-16 11:19:16

*all meals

calzone Tue 16-Feb-16 23:45:03

Whereas I have started putting myself first......

As long as my SW meal is delicious, I don't put as much effort in midweek to the rest of the family.......boys can have jacket potato and cheese.

DH doesn't usually eat at, home.....

BasinHaircut Wed 17-Feb-16 17:08:28

And I'm quite lucky in that DS eats before us so usually has different but DH will prettying eat anything as long as he doesn't have to cook it himself!

But in all seriousness I think SW recipes have, in the main, been excellent so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now