Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Day starters? (There's also a vegetarian and someone intolerant to dairy)

(19 Posts)
Moln Sat 19-Dec-15 17:03:25

I don't really want to make soup as it means an extra pot - pushed for hob space as it is - plus I'd prefer something made in advance that just need putting on the table.

I'd like it syn free

Fussy me?

Any ideas?

calzone Sat 19-Dec-15 17:30:16

Any chance that the vegetarian eats fish?

Classic prawn cocktail would be lovely.

Toast and pate

Plates of canapés

DoreenLethal Sat 19-Dec-15 17:31:37

Any chance that the vegetarian eats fish?

If they eat fish then they aren't vegetarian.

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 19-Dec-15 17:34:03

Vegetarian pate on the table plus a meat one and either salmon or mackerel one to. Serve with posh crisp breads, oatcakes, Crackers and naice chutneys.

MoreGilmoreGirls Sat 19-Dec-15 17:35:39

I do a duck pate and a mushroom pate for my parents who are veggie. Bung a bit of rocket on the plate. Warm rolls from the oven. Job done.

tabulahrasa Sat 19-Dec-15 17:39:24

Um...a frittata type thing? That could be made to suit all your criteria.

Hummus and vegetables?...and toast or bready stuff for those not on SW?

FadedRed Sat 19-Dec-15 17:43:49

Bit old fashioned but refreshing and non filling: melon (add prosciutto for the carnivores?), or grapefruit/mandarin/exotic fruit medley.

StDogolphin Sat 19-Dec-15 18:15:09

Mushroom tart with filo pastry made to look loke a mince pie with a sprig of holly to decorate.

purplewhale Sat 19-Dec-15 18:44:49

Platter of bread, meat, cheeses, olives, cold roasted veggies and other antipasto type things

Moln Sat 19-Dec-15 20:30:22

I'm at the stage where I'm considering nothing!! Bread is out for slimming world people!!!

Though I might look into the antipasto stuff see what can be a eaten - don't need a lot on Christmas Day as a starter!!!

Sirzy Sat 19-Dec-15 20:32:19

I was going to suggest melon.

But have to gatecrash and ask is pate free?

pollylovespie Sat 19-Dec-15 20:37:27

Melon is a great idea. Starter just needs to small and nibbly as xmas dinner is a gut buster! Parma ham, smoked salmon etc for carnivores, you could be fancy and do sushi things for veggies? Ooh, or teeny cubes of Spanish omelette on sticks! Add breadsticks and olives for non - We're?

pollylovespie Sat 19-Dec-15 20:38:03

*non- SWers

Moln Sat 19-Dec-15 20:44:00

Melon is a good idea dunno if the veggie will eat it (well he's actually pescatarian but doesn't like a good bit of fish, including salmon, or any seafood!!)

I'm actually at the stage where I don't care if they don't eat it - I don't mean I will present a dairy filled meat but if I give melon and a fish/veg pate and then I'm not fretting about it!!!

Yes pate can be free Sirzy - you would need to make it yourself but certainly can be free

ScarlettDarling Sat 19-Dec-15 20:51:29

Do you need a starter at all?

We never bother with one, the main course is always more than enough!

KittyOShea Sat 19-Dec-15 20:51:53

Big mushrooms stuffed with basil tomato garlic. (Bacon pieces too for the carnivores) Tiny bit of mozzarella cheese for hexa. Oven 15 mins- veggie tasty and syn free grin

KittyOShea Sat 19-Dec-15 20:55:40

Oh and can be just as tasty without cheese for the dairy intolerant person.

Allalonenow Sat 19-Dec-15 20:56:18

Large sheets of puff pastry as the base for a couple of flans, one courgette, tomato, peppers, etc. the other mushrooms & goat cheese. A couple of small slices per person. Could be made the day before, serve cold.

Asparagus vinaigrette, garnish with hard boiled quails eggs if feeling flush.

calzone Tue 22-Dec-15 11:59:58

How many syns would that be AllAlone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now