Talk

Advanced search

Are these recipes syn free?

(11 Posts)
imwithspud Tue 17-Nov-15 21:59:31

I make a really nice home made chill & spag Bol, both are favourites in this house. Just wondering if they'd be classed as syn free or how many syns (roughly) they would be?

Chilli recipe:
500g lean beef mince
1 onion
1 leek
2 garlic cloves
1 red pepper
Handful of sweetcorn
2 green chillies
1 tin kidney beans
1 carton passata
175ml chicken stock
2 tsp brown sugar
2tbsp tomato purée
Cumin
Chilli powder
Paprika
Dried coriander leaves
Pepper
Served with rice.

Spag Bol:
500g lean beef mince
1 onion
1 leek
1 carrot, grated
3 garlic cloves
1 carton passata
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 beef stock cube
Dried mixed herbs
Pinch nutmeg
Pinch sugar
Pepper
Served with spaghetti/pasta

I'm guessing the sugar in both dishes would add syns? What would I use instead? Sweetener maybe? Any help appreciated. I've looked at SW versions of these dishes and there isn't a massive difference really so I'd like to use my own recipe if possible, just want to make sure they're SW friendly.

AddictedtoGreys Tue 17-Nov-15 22:02:17

Use granulated sweetener instead of sugar

imwithspud Tue 17-Nov-15 22:39:30

For some reason using sweetener never occurred to me, thanks! Adding it to the shopping list right now.

emmaluvseeyore Wed 18-Nov-15 09:26:07

If you are using oil then that would add syns. Frylight is syn free though.

BarbaraofSeville Wed 18-Nov-15 10:53:54

You may need to up the veg a bit to qualify for the 1/3 speed food, depending on how much pasta or rice you eat. Put some mushrooms in the bolognaise and an extra (green?) pepper in the chilli. I would also add 2 tins of beans to the chilli.

I wouldn't bother with sugar or sweetener in either recipe though and just use normal oil in a spray bottle rather than frylight. I also add a splash of stock at the frying stage to stop things burning in the lack of oil.

imwithspud Wed 18-Nov-15 14:41:56

Thanks for the tips, I do usually use fry light for cooking, I'll try upping veg content and see how I get on with that. My problem is that apart from carrots, I'm not really a fan of veg on the side, so I try and get round this by 'hiding' it in sauces and soups and what not.

emmaluvseeyore Wed 18-Nov-15 15:12:05

Chilli and spag bol are great for hiding veggies!

ProcrastinatorGeneral Thu 19-Nov-15 21:37:09

I'd ignore the pinch of sugar, as long as it's just a pinch. A level teaspoon of sugar is one syn, over a whole meal that makes it what, a quarter of a syn?

Enjoy your food smile

imwithspud Thu 19-Nov-15 21:59:59

Thanks all for the advice! Itching to get started now (having a big SW friendly food shop delivered Monday)grin

calzone Fri 20-Nov-15 07:25:20

What else are you going to make?

I know you said you don't like vegetables but when you are feeling braver, I will share my cauliflower cheese sauce with you for lasagne and macaroni cheese.

JOEYDOESNTSHAREFOOD Sun 29-Nov-15 12:34:01

Calzone can I have your califlower cheese sauce recipe please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now