Talk

Advanced search

Frying obsession?

(13 Posts)
ProcrastinatorGeneral Sun 01-Nov-15 14:49:09

It might just be the group I go to (Northern city, economically fucked) but what is the obsession with frying about?

We have a group on Facebook, and every other post is about actifry or halo machines. Seriously, half of the meals posted involve chips of one sort or another, which seems to be circumventing the idea of changing your habits. Or is it just me and my obsession with my slow cooker and aversion to frying things?

Right. On with the housework while I ruminate on the weirdness.

SkirkLass Sun 01-Nov-15 16:23:02

I go to a group with a similar demographic and there isn't that kind of obsession there. I do think that there's a subgroup of dieters who do SW who just look to invent SW versions of their favourite old meals involving smash, mullerlights and options hot chocolate (to be fair I've come across this mainly outside of the group). Not only do their recipes sound utterly rank to me they don't seem to be having as much success at loosing weight. I think to make it work you do need to embrace the principals of eating less processed food and including a third speed at every meal however there's nothing inherently wrong with having low fat homemade chips everyday if that's your preferred carb option.

lighteningirl Sun 01-Nov-15 16:25:06

Totally agree I do fry some things in Frylight but generally I cook healthy meals from scratch none of this making stuff up and in my groups the best losers do the same.

foxybayee03 Mon 02-Nov-15 18:21:57

Ive never understood the Acrifry obsession to be honest. Only seems to be chips made in them. Ive never heard of a Halo machine. Again I assume Im not missing much there either.

lighteningirl Tue 03-Nov-15 07:55:33

My SW oven chips are to die for and I hate all these machines on my lovely new work surface so an actifry is out of the question grin

SillyOldElfBackToYourself Wed 04-Nov-15 13:57:59

lighteningirl please can you tell me how you make your oven chips?
Mine never look as nice as other peoples.

lighteningirl Wed 04-Nov-15 16:19:35

Cut potatoes in chips (I top and tail and trim as don't like too much skin) bring to boil in salted water whilst oven heats up to hot 170/175 drain chips shake hard and salt with rock salt then them spread out on a baking tray and spray loads of sunflower frylight (not olive oil it's no good on chips). Shake a bit as you spray so it's on all sides. Cook for 15 mins in the hot oven until starting to brown then take out respray and put in for another ten minutes or until they look good. This is my perfected method after eight years food optimising and four stone lost and kept off grin

lighteningirl Wed 04-Nov-15 16:22:02

I often do the chopping and profiling in the morning then leave in cold water til I am ready to eat or I do Cajun wedges if I can't be parsed to harbour (cut each potato into wedges sprinkle with Cajun spices spray with daylight and put in medium oven for 45 minutes)

lighteningirl Wed 04-Nov-15 16:24:34

Parboiling!

ProcrastinatorGeneral Wed 04-Nov-15 17:15:04

I stab a spud or three, nuke them for a couple of minutes, slice, spray, salt and into a hot oven on one of those wire trays song don't have to turn them. Then I like to eat them with half a pot of sour cream which really defeats the point... grin

NuggetofPurestGreen Wed 04-Nov-15 17:31:24

Skirklass if you included a third 'speed' with every meal you'd defo lose weight grin

lighteningirl Wed 04-Nov-15 18:11:12

I am currently loving Tesco cottage cheese with sweet chilli sauce on my jacket potatoes gorgeous and Free

SkirkLass Wed 04-Nov-15 22:11:00

grin nuggets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now