Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Meat free mince recommendations please

(9 Posts)
sonata1 Wed 14-Oct-15 22:19:05

Can anyone recommend a decent veggie mince (not Quorn) that tastes like real mince?

SkirkLass Fri 16-Oct-15 21:38:35

I like the Tesco frozen soya mince, it had a different texture to quorn and it's free.

cheapskatemum Sun 25-Oct-15 20:56:04

I use puy lentils with tomato & basil in vegetarian moussaka, bolognese sauce etc

SoloPolo Sun 25-Oct-15 20:58:18

Was going to suggest puy lentils too. Works really well.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Mon 26-Oct-15 13:57:18

I've got a great recipe! It is one of my own invention, and I am ludicrously pleased with it. My kids scoff it and haven't realised it isn't meat. I've made chilli with it but it can be easily adapted to bolognese/lasagne/any mince based dish. It's vegan if you leave out the stock cube and Worcestershire sauce or use appropriate alternatives.

This makes enough for 8 large portions. It freezes well.

2 onions, diced
2 tins tomatoes
1 tin chickpeas
couple of handfuls of dried red lentils
pack of mushrooms
2 tins red kidney beans
garlic
1 tbsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp paprika
2 tsps oregano
* beef oxo cube
* glug of Worcestershire sauce

1. Sweat the onions until soft, then blitz in a blender if you have fussy kids to feed to.

2. Add the tomatoes, oxo cube (if using) and some water (I fill the tins half way to wash out all the tomatoey goodness) and the lentils. Simmer for 20ish minutes, making sure you stir every so often so the lentils don't stick.

3. While that's simmering, mince the mushrooms and chickpeas. I use a food processor, but by hand is fine. DON'T use a stick blender as this will make it into a paste which you don't want.

4. Once you can see the lentils are cooked, add the rest of the ingredients and leave to simmer for another 20ish mins. You might need to add a bit more water.

5. Serve however!

I'm only just starting out with SW but apparently this is completely free? I did put it into My Fitness Pal and it was only about 150 cals per portion which is good.

cheapskatemum Mon 26-Oct-15 21:02:43

Felicia I started Slimming World about a month ago and, from what I can see, you are correct in thinking they are all "free" foods. Good luck with your weight loss, I might have a go at making your meat free mince. Thanks for taking the trouble to type it out.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 27-Oct-15 09:07:33

You're welcome smile.

PurpleDaisies Tue 27-Oct-15 09:11:05

If you put a big spoonful of marmite in, most mince will taste more like meat mince. The Sainsbury's range of meat replacement stuff is really good.

FeliciaJollygoodfellow Tue 27-Oct-15 14:56:19

Oh good call! I shall try Marmite next time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now