Talk

Advanced search

Tasty, free n easy pasta sauce?

(8 Posts)
Lillamyy1 Mon 03-Aug-15 04:54:46

I made one the other day as I normally would and the only difference was that I used fry lite instead of olive oil. It was so bland I couldn't eat it!
Anyone know how to tart up a tomato-based pasta sauce while keeping it free (as I don't want to waste syns on sonething so healthy!)?

annielostit Mon 03-Aug-15 07:06:37

1 onion
1 carrot & 3 mushrooms
Couple slices smoked bacon
1 carton of pasatta
2 cloves garlic
Teasspoon basil & 1 of parsley
Half a chicken stock cube.
Low at spray.

Cook the onion carrot in low fast spray till softened
Add mushrooms bacon garlic & herbs. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add the pasatta & sprinkle in the stick cube.
Cover & simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt & pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes more.

If your veggie use veggie cube & no bacon.

emmaluvseeyore Mon 03-Aug-15 09:20:54

Makes sure you add lots of herbs. It really helps give it some flavour. I also use passata rather than chopped tomatoes - it tastes really nice then.

zeps Mon 03-Aug-15 10:24:52

I like to add ground pepper or a pinch of chilli pepper. I agree that passata is a better base. Veg stock cubes thicken it too.

Lillamyy1 Mon 03-Aug-15 16:04:03

Great, thanks all smile

hstar1995 Mon 03-Aug-15 17:08:55

Chopped onion, mushroom, pepper (red or yellow usually), garlic, salt, pepper, tinned tomatoes, passata, vinegar, oregano, basil.

I usually fry the onion, mushroom and pepper in fry light. Then add half a tin of tomatoes and half a carton of passata and let it simmer on a lowI heat. I then add the herbs and salt and pepper to taste, then serve smile sometimes put ham/bacon in it as well

LakeFlyPie Mon 03-Aug-15 19:14:34

I do sautéed base of onion, carrot and celery (+/- chopped courgettes, peppers, aubergine). Add garlic for last minute and whichever herbs you fancy. Then tinned toms and passata and simmer. Then add either chilli (flakes or cayenne powder) or glug of balsamic vinegar for more flavour.
For a creamier sauce you could stir in some milk or 'light ' cream cheese / roule but would need to syn it or use HEA.

Lillamyy1 Tue 04-Aug-15 15:04:15

I like the idea of adding ham or bacon, or courgette and aubergine! Going to try it out tonight - can't wait!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now