Talk

Advanced search

New to SW. Do I have to join a class?

(16 Posts)
Fourvanillas Wed 15-Jul-15 21:38:43

Sorry if that sounds unsociable, but I'm introverted and find groups hard, plus I work lates most evenings. What do other people do? I need to lose a stone xxx

FannyFanakapan Wed 15-Jul-15 21:52:11

you could do it yourself if you are motivated and you can follow the plan.

Plenty of fruit, veg, lean meat.

Healthy extra A (generally dairy - milk and cheese) and B (generally cereal and bread) - look at pinterest for a list of each.

up to 15 syns a day - these re your cakes, biscuits, wine, chocolate.

Fourvanillas Wed 15-Jul-15 22:16:20

Sounds great thanks Fanny, might struggle with the wine though grin

candyflosscloud Wed 15-Jul-15 22:18:45

Me and my partner are doing it via home smile we don't go to the classes as we have young children x

BotoxBitch Wed 15-Jul-15 22:24:48

I was just going to ask the same thing.... Is there anywhere we can find the basic principles of sw?

Fourvanillas Wed 15-Jul-15 22:25:49

Thanks Candy, good to know its just not me, but I don't mean that in a bad way smile
I'm looking forward to trying out some SW recipes xxx

BotoxBitch Wed 15-Jul-15 22:29:46

Have you joined online four? Do you think we have too?

Fourvanillas Wed 15-Jul-15 22:36:10

I'm a bit like you, botox, not sure xx Going to look into it a bit more after this weekend. Would start earlier but family birthdays are imminent
Can't wait to shift this stone though xxx

StayGoldPonyBoy Wed 15-Jul-15 22:38:24

Just google it. Its so easy to follow. The only problem youll have is you wont get the book with syn values in for your cupboard staples and your healthy extras. Even just go to group for the book and never go back, its like paying a tenner for the guide which I've done before as I have a small DD.

Basic principles are just that you can eat unlimited lean meat and pasta, rice, potatoes and fruits and veg. Have 1/3 of the plate as veg with every meal and cook from scratch. Processed sauces are syns. Fruit juice and cooked fruit is syns too as you digest it differently.

CillaSlack Wed 15-Jul-15 22:40:16

I go to a class because the weekly weigh in keeps me focused. I think if I did SW on line I would soon go back to my old ways and be undisciplined.

emwithme Thu 16-Jul-15 00:07:45

I also struggle with anxiety/depression/MH issues etc and really find going to class helps; not only with keeping me focussed on the plan but also helps with my MH, the first class was horrible because I didn't know anyone and my anxiety was a bit out of hand but I did it because I had to, the second class was much nicer, the third was fine (I sat with the same people I'd sat with the second time).

I go to a morning group (even though mornings are hard for me physical-disability-wise) because it fits better for me, also it means I don't have the whole "must restrict food before weigh in" and also I don't have the "post-weigh-in" binge that I did when I did it before and went to an evening group cos everyone knows the food eaten on the night after weigh-in doesn't count I take my overnight oats in a yoghurt pot and eat breakfast once I've weighed.

FannyFanakapan Thu 16-Jul-15 08:26:25

theres a facebook group "SYNS ALLOWED" which is very good for commercial products and how many syns in eg sausages

emmaluvseeyore Thu 16-Jul-15 09:30:31

I am an online member because I can't get to any of the local classes. I think it is worth signing up, even if you only join for 3 months. I have just renewed my membership for the next 6 months because I find various parts of the website very helpful.

My partner and I are both doing it, but we only paid for me to join. He just keeps a record of his weight on his phone. My mum also has my login details so she can access recipes on the website if she wants.

Fourvanillas Thu 16-Jul-15 13:20:16

Sorry,.I meant I work til late most days (not lates, my error) long days, and the commute is a fair trek, so I get tired too. Think I'll join online, though I like the sound of the book with the rules in xxx thanks all for the other ideas to think of xxx

emmaluvseeyore Fri 17-Jul-15 09:43:28

You can download all the information you need directly from the website. I have to documents save on my phone and iPad, so don't have to lug a book around with me smile

Fourvanillas Sat 18-Jul-15 17:01:44

Sounds a goid idea smile

Been busy on Ebay and bought a 2009 second hand food directory along with a couple of other books, can't wait. I'll buy a newer version if I need to.

Also, I've looked at the recipes on the slimming world app, the home made humous looks favourable, and I have beetroot and tomatoes growing in my garden, speed foods.

Really been doing my homework smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now