Talk

Advanced search

thinking of SW but...

(9 Posts)
StillFrankie Mon 13-Jul-15 13:03:30

...I hate vegetables and pasta, and I can't cook, not even very simple things.

I've tried SW before and found it very restrictive actually due to how much I didn't like to eat. The 1/3 plate thing I can't do.

But I speak to so many people who do it (our local consultant is one of the top ones) and who say they've lost 3 stone in 3 months and I want that to be me sad

I prefer WW for the 'eat anything as long as its within points' approach. But apparently SW means you can eat more...(obviously all vegetables though)

So how could it work for me?

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Mon 13-Jul-15 13:06:20

If you prefer the WW approach is there any reason you're not doing that?

I've done both and am currently on SW because it works for me right now, but it's horses for courses with diet plans. My problem is always sticking to it this time which is why I'm trying SW as it feels more sustainable but I do think fruit and veg is the key to it.

MisForMumNotMaid Mon 13-Jul-15 13:11:32

Three stone in three months is seriously dieting. I averaged 1.5lb a week which was 5 stone over ten months on Slimming World.

Can't cook is an interesting one. Do you mean you literally can't turn on an oven/ hob or don't have one.

Can you warm beans and cook toast?

Can you heat a can of something and cook some rice?

Can you cook some bacon, an egg and a few tomatos/ mushrooms?

Finally what do you like to eat?

StillFrankie Tue 14-Jul-15 18:26:15

I'm not doing WW because I'm struggling to stick to anything really blush

I can turn on a hob, as for oven, not really sure what the wee pictures mean (DH does the cooking, I tend to burn or undercook everything blush )

I can do toast and boil an egg. can do some things in the microwave. I wouldn't know how to do soup in the pot.

world's fussiest eater here - don't like beans, don't like mushrooms (no veg except potatoes and carrots really), only really like some fruits, don't like pasta, pizza, fish

I can eat veg in soups but again only certain soups

I sound terrible I know, but this fussiness runs in the family too. We're big on meat, not so much on veg.

tabulahrasa Tue 14-Jul-15 18:31:28

I love slimming world...but I honestly don't think it's necessarily the best eating plan for people that don't want to cook.

Having said that...meat and potatoes can be completely slimming world friendly, you could try more veg, try to find more that you like and the third speed can be fruit, melon, strawberries, raspberries, apples and cherries are all speed for starters.

You can make soup and blend it...

CillaSlack Tue 14-Jul-15 18:52:17

I never cook but since joining last week I have made 3 of their meals which were lovely. I just followed the recipes. Dh was shock when he saw me cooking blush

I imagine that not liking veg would make it a bit difficult though.

MisForMumNotMaid Tue 14-Jul-15 21:38:11

So to focus on the positives you like meat, potatoes, carrots and some fruit.

You enjoy some soups and find veg preferable in soup.

Thats a good start as a base for a fair few meals.

Carrots are a great veg to like. They can be roasted, casseroled, shreded and fried, eaten raw as sticks, finely chopped to make a coleslaw, sliced and boiled, mashed with or without a dash of spice. If i were to limit myself to one veg i think the carrot would be a front runner.

Alongside your carrot side any lean meat goes. So a half a roast chicken or large chicken piece (even precooked from the hot counter if you fancy a lazy day), bacon medalions, Iceland now do a range of slimming world meats like burgers, meatballs and sausages but other meats any lean will do - trimmed pork chop, steak etc.

Then you can mash, roast, chip, hash, slice and saute, wedge, boil your potatoes to add some more bulk. Just use frylight instead of oil and don't add butter to your mash unless you syn it.

Soup pureed is a great beginners cooking lesson. Mainly because you just bung in a pan, add water and stock cube and cook till its mush.

Leek and potato soup was my first home made soup. You simply chop up leek, peel and chop roughly one medium potato per leek, add one diluted stock cube for every two leeks, cook for half an hour then blend.

Theres a bit of a saying at our Slimming world group 'soup it up'. People who want a boost in their loss do a week of a big bowl of soup for lunch. It works.

Its alright to go with what you know you like but its also quite good to try a tiny bit of new things there may well be some flavours you really like if you can try without pressure.

Even within the carrot family there are loads of different varieties to try.

For breakfast egg, bacon medalions, tomato and sliced potatoes make a great fry up.

Everydayaschoolday Wed 15-Jul-15 22:02:32

Iceland have a range of Slimming World ready meals (microwave?) and sausages etc. Currently on offer at the moment. Might be worth a try?

TimetohittheroadJack Tue 21-Jul-15 13:46:14

I think you're struggling to stick to any diet as all rely on you filling up on fruit and veg. Without the veg you are going to be hungry.

Could you challenge yourself to find other vegetables you like? what about roast peppers, or tomatoes. Turnip is great mashed. Or sweet potato wedges.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now