Talk

Advanced search

Slimming World Weight Loss Buddies (For those with more than 4 stone to lose)

(25 Posts)
CheeseFlavouredDiscs Fri 24-Apr-15 13:22:17

Hi,

I have talked to a few people who are in the same position as me, and have started Slimming World with a lot of weight to lose.

I've got to lose 7-9 stone (so roughly half my body weight) to achieve a healthy weight.

I really want to stick to this as a permanent change of lifestyle, and am hoping that we can stick together to help each other along the way.

I'd love to hear from anyone with a lot of weight to lose, or those who have lost a lot of weight and can offer tips and advice.

MrMacadoo Sat 25-Apr-15 09:45:41

hi Cheese, I have lost nearly 4 and a half stone with SW and am 3 and a half pounds from target. It's taken a year but I have still had meals out and holidays in that time. It is such a brilliant diet, I don't feel like I am on a diet and definitely don't deprive myself. Wishing you all the best x

DebbieFiderer Sat 25-Apr-15 12:26:46

Hi Cheese. I've lost almost 6.5 stone with SW, about another 4 stone to go. It's taken me over a year and a half, and I reckon I have at least another year to go. My biggest tips are

- weigh in every week, even if you know you have put on, even if you can't get to your normal group.
- stay to group, every week
- get involved with the group, mine is always looking for new helpers. Being involved makes it feel more like a social thing, and also makes it feel more like a commitment, helping with the first two points
- accept that you will have good weeks and bad weeks. Sometimes I need to go completely off the rails for a few days, kind of get it out of my system, then I can get back on the wagon properly, rather than getting into a cycle of overeating, feeling guilty about it, and almost linking myself by eating even more.
- eat food that you enjoy, don't deprive yourself. Yes, some things can only be eaten in moderation, but you can still have a little bit
- on a practical level, fill up on speed foods, they really do help

Any specific questions about the plan just shout smile

HappyHippyChick Sat 25-Apr-15 19:30:48

I joined SW today and I need to lose about 7 stone. I'm happy to try and keep you motivated, it's a daunting task!

CheeseFlavouredDiscs Sat 25-Apr-15 21:21:06

Thanks for all the tips and success stories, makes me believe that this is totally do-able!

I have managed to stay roughly on the wagon this week, and even managed to choose a few 'wiser' options whilst going out last night, although not completely - I had candy floss (thought it would be loads of syns, but was only 3 syns!) and an ice blast at the cinema (13 Syns confused ) I totalled 30 syns yesterday.

Today I made a crumble and had it with low fat custard (overall a painful 11 syns plus both options A & B!) I need to have less custard in future....
I still managed to hit my target 19 syns though smile

DebbieFiderer Sun 26-Apr-15 06:37:57

Is 19 Syns what your consultant has told you to aim for? I've never heard of anyone bring told to go over 15.

CheeseFlavouredDiscs Sun 26-Apr-15 20:31:39

Yeah she said that anyone over 16 stone has 15-20 Syns a day.

I decided to aim for 19 cos I reckon it's about a Syn per stone and as I lose weight I can lower my Syn value to match my weight.

HappyHippyChick Sun 26-Apr-15 22:15:25

My consultant didn't bother to tell me how many syns I should aim for. She also ignored the fact I'm breastfeeding as well hmm so I am tempted to look for another meeting...

yougotafastcar Mon 27-Apr-15 10:08:18

Hi cheese, I finally found the thread!

I've got a similar amount as you to lose. I'm rejoining on thursday. I had previously lost 2 stone but put it all back on sad

Hope you are doing well!

EatSleepRunRepeat Mon 27-Apr-15 10:26:15

Congratulations on joining SW Cheese!

Debbie has given you some top advice, I'd echo everything she said.

One thing I'd add is to plan what you are going to have to eat each week, then write a list of the ingredients you need to shop for, and just buy those things. This has really helped me.

I've lost 12 stone and feel absolutely amazing for it!

PunkrockerGirl Mon 27-Apr-15 10:32:26

That's amazing, EatSleep. If you don't mind me asking, how long did it take you to lose the weight?

EatSleepRunRepeat Mon 27-Apr-15 10:40:39

No probs PunkrockerGirl, took me about 18 months in total. I tend not to stay in target much, I do a lot of running so depending on training my loss is usually somewhere between 11 and 12.
This is me, if you want to know more: www.slimmingworld.com/success-stories/brendanodonnell.aspx

MrMacadoo Mon 27-Apr-15 14:05:56

wow eatsleep that's amazing! I read your story in the magazine, truly inspirational!

SnowflakeObsidian Tue 28-Apr-15 20:12:00

<sidles in shyly> Hi, can I join you all? I want to join Slimming World after a friend has had amazing success with it. It sounds like the one system that might actually help me with the weight I've struggled with for decades. I have 6-7 stone to lose and am dyspraxic and really unfit sad but I've recently had a mastectomy and am undergoing treatment for breast cancer and I'm really, really serious about getting slim, fit and healthy. I've never been so motivated. I just don't know whether to go for a group or online - I'd love to hear from people who have done both. Well done people who have managed to lose weight so far whether a little or a lot - a big part of my journey is realising that every little counts and not giving up in despair!

CheeseFlavouredDiscs Wed 29-Apr-15 19:24:10

I lost 4.5 pounds in my first week smile Yay!!

I'm really getting into slimming world now. It was very hard at first, but it is just easier to not eat the junk when there is actually a lot of nice things I can still eat.

Tonight I am going to a very gentle yoga for beginners class, so hopefully that will help.

Also, I have discovered that for me to enjoy slimming world, I have to cook a lot. Although I have been making extra quantities every time I cook something and freezing it. I now have about 2 weeks worth of meals stored away.

I'm massively impressed EatSleepRunRepeat your story is so inspiring!

Hello SnowflakeObsidian you are very welcome to join.

I am the worst dieter EVER, but this doesn't feel like a diet because I can eat as much as I want of normal foods (like potatoes, pasta, rice, etc). Bizarrely I'm not actually eating that much of the carbohydrate foods that are allowed, but I suspect that's mostly because they aren't forbidden/limited, so I don't crave them as much!

Also, I have a sneaking suspicion that my body has kind of 'detoxed' from all the carbs and junk I used to eat (and it only seems to have taken a week or so) becuase I'm not craving them anything like I used to.

SteelyPip Thu 30-Apr-15 14:03:42

Hello ladies,

Can I join in with you please?

I've been a member of SW for just over a week and have 8 stones + to lose.

That gentle yoga class sounds like a good idea Cheese. I will have a look to see if there's something like that around here. At the moment I'm trying to do 7500 steps every day (working my way up to 10k)

Hi Snowflake. Sounds like you're going through a lot at the moment. Hope we can support you through the tough times.

Good luck to the other ladies (and gents)

DebbieFiderer Fri 01-May-15 07:31:17

Snowflake, I really recommend joining a group. It really is my group that have gotten me to where I am, both from the support I get there, and the friends I have made, but also the discipline of going every week and standing on those scales. It also really helps when I have had a bad week; no matter how I feel when I get off the scales, by the end of group I have put it begins me and leave feeling positive again. It means that I am only ever working week to week, breaks it down into smaller chunks to make it more manageable.

I lost 4lb this week doing extra easy sp and loved it. I really thought I would miss the carbs, but I didn't at all. Will definitely do it again.

Worryingwombat Fri 01-May-15 22:05:57

Hello all grin

Congratulations cheese on your first loss and weigh in!!

I have another thread on her my 22.3 stone mission and the support I have revived has been amazing so wanted to jump in and say hello!!

I started Sw 6 months ago weighing 22.3 stone!! I am now 5 stone 2lb lighter as of weigh in on Thursday and I am so happy!!gringrin

I still have around another 7 stone to lose to be in my healthy BMI range!!

I have not set a target at Sw yet I find looking at the big picture too much

I just take it a shiny sticker and certificate at a time (each 1/2 stone)

My aim for May is to get my 5 1/2 stone award and to really go for it with the plan by having some SP DAYS TOO!!

Good luck everyone!!

CheeseFlavouredDiscs Fri 01-May-15 22:20:29

Hi SteelyPip of course you can join! This is a group for anyone who has a bit of a mission ahead with their weight loss.

I was doing really well so far this week and had been eating hardly any Syns. Lots of cold meat and eggs! I even went dry slope skiing yesterday! Was quite sore and achey after about 40 mins so I gave up before my hour was over rather than overdo it and injure myself.

Unfortunately we had a very stressful 24 hours, as we were waiting to find out some possibly awful news, but everything turned out OK in the end and we had a big sigh of relief today when we found out. Then to celebrate and de-stress, my husband and I went out for afternoon tea at a fancy hotel nearby and I'm pretty sure that I ate more Syns than I'm allowed in a week.

I've promised myself that I won't just give up because of one slip, and tonight's dinner was Syn Free Risotto.

Hi can I join you? I've got about 4 at to lose and had some success with sw already just following the recipes without a group. I'm 14st which doesn't sound too awful but only 5'3" so very round blush really struggling to find a group as my working hours are erratic, was planning to join the only late evening one I can find locally this week but was late leaving work and missed it! Has anyone joined online and had any success? Feel like a group would help me but really struggling to get to one.

Bahh Sat 02-May-15 12:45:00

Can I join? I don't want to say how much exactly but I effectively have to lose an entire normal person, or half of myself also. I'm only 5'0 so should be like 7.5st :l

I've never been slim, my whole family is overweight (apart from one of my brothers who obviously got the gene we were all missing!), in fact dad is currently on waiting list for a gastric op. I would rather do it myself if I can. I'm a bit slow going (1.5st & 2 dress sizes since January) but like you this is a lifelong change I'm trying to make and it's very hard. I feel lots more positive since I started though and healthier, too. Slow and steady wins the race I hope!

CheeseFlavouredDiscs Sun 03-May-15 02:25:43

EnglishGirlApproximately of course you can join!

Our group has special rules for shift workers, who can go to meetings every other week. It sounds like that might apply to you, so maybe ask about it?

Bahh you are very welcome to join! You don't have to say how much you need to lose, but I think 1.5st since Jan is excellent. It also means you have kept going for 4 months already, and that is a fantastic achievement! Slow and steady weight loss has been scientifically proven to be more likely to stay off, so you are doing the best possible thing for your health.

I've eaten well today; Syn free omelette using healthy extra A for cheese, Canneloni with 3 Syns of cheese on top, packet rice for 1.5 Syns, and 2 slices of toast as healthy extra B with scrambled eggs. I think the toast might be worth Syns as it is white seeded loaf, not wholemeal. Either way, I figured I would still be under my limit for the day.

Bahh Wed 06-May-15 22:24:41

Thanks smile

I gained this week, 1lb. Probably because I weighed in on the morning last week. I am getting a bit frustrated though so have agreed with my SW to do a completely ON IT week and fill out my food diary every day. I've done 5lbs in a week before so I know I can do it.

I was a bit bad today by missing breakfast. Had a big yummy SP salad for dinner and 5syn mugshot & free bolognese for tea.

DebbieFiderer Fri 08-May-15 12:50:55

I lost 3 lbs this week which I was really pleased with, especially given that I had eaten a fair amount of cake on my night shift the night before weigh in! I am finding EE SP to really work well for me though, even if I don't do it for the whole week. Had a bad day yesterday (large amounts of cake plus a Chinese!) but am back on SP today and planning to rock it! Another 3.5 lbs to go to get my 7stone award which would be incredible if I can do it this week - only two weeks after my 6.5 stone award.

So far today I have had scrambled eggs with mushrooms, baked beans and tomatoes for breakfast, and 2 quorn fillets with ratatouille (super easy to make from a bag of frozen roasted veg and a jar of passata) for lunch. Dinner tonight will be tacos - I was going to do chili with cauliflower rice but discovered that taco shells are only 3.5 syns each so will have that instead with a big salad.

ilovesprouts Tue 12-May-15 13:44:48

hi ive just joined sw and i can have 20 syns per day.my first weigh in is this thursday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now