Talk

Advanced search

Really sticking to diet but it's so slow, bloody annoyed

(261 Posts)
Frizzcat Mon 09-Feb-15 21:29:46

First time on the SS board.

Started SS at the beginning of Jan and just had my 6th weigh in. I need to lose about 5st. I've stuck to plan, I've kept my syns below 10. I've avoided nights out, I'm not drinking, I've written everything down. In 6wks I've lost 8lbs, averaging 1.33lbs per week

Each week in group I listen to people talk about going out for Chinese or drinks and still losing 3/4lbs I'm not losing that much and I feel like I'm working quite hard at it. I just feel a bit rubbish really, I'm sure people must think I'm gorging on chocolate or something but I'm really not. It feels like I can't go out because if I do I will actually put on weight, whereas others in my group say things like "oh lost 2.5lbs this week, I'm really pleased with that, because I was out the other night"

Anyone else like this?

Crouchendmumoftwo Mon 09-Feb-15 22:21:51

I get like that some weeks but can I ask are you exercising? Also, I think in order to lose the weight you have to cut out syns and go really low on carbs. Also 1.33lbs a week is still very good and you have lost over half a stone so that is really good too. Keep going, drink tons of water and exercise. Ive avoided nights out too and all treats and Im in bits when I hear people have had pizzas and curries and lost more than me - awful isnt it. Very upsetting. It is really hard work but you are losing so dont give up.

Frizzcat Mon 09-Feb-15 22:28:35

Thanks Crouchend

Definitely need to drink more water. I'm definitely moving more, maybe I need to do some dedicated exercise.
Now the carb thing is interesting, the group leader says the pasta/rice/potatoes are all unlimited. However my husband keeps saying that doesn't make sense that you'd need to lower the carbs.
Can I ask do you weigh your carbs? And if so how much should I be weighing out?

bakingtins Mon 09-Feb-15 22:31:28

IME the people who don't stick to the plan lose and regain the same 3-4 lbs over and over - cheating doesn't necessarily impact on the scales the same week, but if you go off plan and still lose one week the temptation is to binge the next.
1-2lb a week is good and what you should be aiming for. 8lb lighter than at the start of the year is fab. I know it feels boring and for the effort you are putting in you want to see big losses but there is a limit to how much fat you can lose in a week, big losses often come from water weight. Classic case of the hare and the tortoise. If you lose 1.3 lb a week by the end of the year you'll have near as dammit lost your 5 stone.

bakingtins Mon 09-Feb-15 22:34:31

Are you doing the 'one third of your plate as fruit/veg'? I found that naturally limited carb portions. I didn't weigh anything, like you I lost a steady 1lb a week. They used to do some sort of boost thing where you did 2/3 veg for a week or so, not sure if that's still the case.

Crouchendmumoftwo Mon 09-Feb-15 22:47:30

I dont weigh anything and my consultant didnt tell me about having more veg on my plate and said i could eat all carbs. I didnt trust him so cut down on the carbs. I will have small carbs so I may just have 2 boiled eggs for breakfast of scrambled with smoked salmon (my fav) and then a potato for lunch with prawns and salad. I might skip carbs in the eve and just have fish kippers or seabass and kale/greens. Today i skipped carbs and had noodles tonight with veggies. My husband has been making me some of he meals as he loves to cook and Ive eaten a lot of white rice, but on that week I ate two big rice meals and lost 3.5 lbs. I just think try and eat more protein and veggies and less carbs if you can. I know they dont say that but I just think it makes sense. I had a couple of slices of bread too with fried eggs (one spray). My husband has just made him self a fried egg sandwich and the smell is amazing Im about to pass out - ahhh. I must have a black coffee : (.

annielostit Tue 10-Feb-15 07:01:08

1-2 lb a week is what's recommended. Keep it up. It might take till this time next year but you know life is happening. Any he plan has to be realistic.follow sw and it is. I've lost 5lb since new year, slow but steady.
Don't give up carbs its what fills the hungry hole, split your plate and have the third of veg where possible drink when your thirsty and don't compare your loses to others.x

annielostit Tue 10-Feb-15 07:03:53

Bakingtins the SP plan is the 2/3 veg thing. Its protein & speed foods no carbs only measured bread or cereal plus milk or cheese.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Tue 10-Feb-15 07:10:16

1-2 lbs a week is perfectly normal and not slow at all. You must be patient and realistic

NimpyWWindowmash Tue 10-Feb-15 07:13:17

Exercise is key

Even just walking

Frizzcat Tue 10-Feb-15 10:00:50

I'm definitely walking more. I think I need to drink more water and I actually need to cut down on carbs. I think I've been eating more than I would ordinarily. I can't cut them completely because I find I'm looking for sugar to replace it IYSWIM

I know 1-2lbs is normal and is the most likeliest route to long term weight loss. But, it is hard when it seems everyone in your group seems to be losing so much more and telling you about the great Chinese they had etc, and you know that if you so much as sniffed a chow mein you'd put weight on.

Thanks ladies I'll take your tips on board and see how I go next week. flowers

bakingtins Tue 10-Feb-15 10:15:29

I'm not sure all the 'slimmer of the week' thing is helpful. This is not about you competing with anyone else, it's about you making progress towards your own goals. Slow and steady wins the race. Keep up the good work!

Frizzcat Tue 10-Feb-15 14:21:06

I don't think I'll ever be slimmer of the week grin
If only there was a reward for slowest loser of the week, I'd win every week wink

dragdownthemoon Tue 10-Feb-15 19:44:40

Frizzcat I feel your pain! I posted about this too. You have done much better than me, take comfort in that! I find group so frustrating too with the "I'm happy with my 3lb loss cos I have pizza twice last week" and I stick to plan completely and lose 0.5! The most I have ever lost in one week is 1.5lb and it is usually closer to 0.5. One night "off" and I gain which means Im just not really losing weight at all. I know I shouldn't have the nights off (but even when I do I am not stuffing my face, i could have one 20syns day in the week and that will see a big gain)

I'm really disheartened and I joined SW because of all th talk about how easy it is, no weighing or measuring, unlimited foods etc. I don't have a huge appetite but I don't want to have to weigh all my foods, if I did then I might as well just count calories. I was lured in with all the talk of "I lost 15 stone eating home made burgers and big bowls of pasta!" In the magazines.

I think I just didn't really eat that badly before, so this isn't a big change for me hence why it doesn't make a difference. I guess if you go from loads of bread and cheese and crisps and chocolate, to eating pasta and potatoes and lean meats it will work. I have never really eaten badly, I'm just not naturally thin so I think I need something more different and drastic to actually work.

Good luck, I hope you find a way to make it work for you x

Frizzcat Tue 10-Feb-15 21:03:24

Yes dragdown I think you might belong to my group! How much do you have to lose?

dexter73 Wed 11-Feb-15 09:34:10

I think that some people just lose weight slower than others as well, unfortunately. Slow and steady wins the race!

LastNightADJSavedMyLife Wed 11-Feb-15 09:40:20

I have said this before - I don't think SW suits everyone and I don't think you can eat unlimited carbs and lose weight. I lost 4 stone on it in the past, now can't lose a pound.

There is nothing different in what I am doing, I just think that for whatever reason it has stopped working for me. I calorie count instead which is tediously but then everything is if it means carefully planning meals.

Frizzcat Wed 11-Feb-15 11:23:51

I think that we see media reports about people losing lots of weight and what those reports fail to convey is how long these people have taken to lose vast amounts of weight.
We can put weight on so quickly because quite frankly it's just more fun isn't it and there's no limits, but losing it is slow and lacking the fun.

I joined SW to not only lose weight but to change my relationship with food - I'm a classic comfort eater, and actually SW has made me realise how much of a problem that was and is really.
Now, I realise that I also need to address my lack of patience and basically instant gratification. I want the instant results and I want the attention of people noticing the weight loss. However, that's not actually very psychologically healthy is it? I cant lose weight and change my relationship with food for praise from others (obviously self esteem issues), it has to be because I want to be healthier and feel healthier and look better and look forward to the summer, instead feeling depressed every time a heat wave is mentioned.
I think that's where the SW group format is falling down for me, it can feel a little competitive for those of us that are slowly losing, we're never going to win the prizes and if you've not really worked through your own issues, then it can be disheartening.

Oops bit deep thereblush

annielostit Wed 11-Feb-15 12:19:06

Your allowed to be deep frizzcat, if we don't put it out there we won't learn from others. That's where I think the groups are a let down. Its nice to hear when someone's doing well but the idea I think is to help someone who is struggling and how or why.
Someone called sw a diet today, but its not IMO. Its learning how to eat and how to deal with daily life eating.
I do wonder what did they eat before sw. I just overindulge on weekends. Wine & snacks followed by coffee & biscuits.
I understand about instant gratification, I should work on that when I'm bored or emotional.
I'm on the lowest loser plan. 6.5lb in 6 weeks, no competition for me. I didn't get 14lb over weigh overnight so I won't get thin overnight.
By summer we'll be at least 10lb slimmer so this year its panic over in a heatwave.

dragdownthemoon Wed 11-Feb-15 13:55:42

Ahh the competitiveness really irks me. I will never ever be slimmer of the week, or month, or the woman of the year, or any of those things unless one week literally no one else turns up and my 0.5lb loss is the best there is lol

Frizzcat Wed 11-Feb-15 13:59:03

drag where's your group? For a small fee a few of us will turn up and prevent the other members from attending and you can win it. grin

lizandlulu Wed 11-Feb-15 14:37:16

I could write your post op. I'm slow, very very slow. I've been doing it for nearly 3 years now and have lost 3 stone in total. But nothing for the last year. I have got too complacent and cheat myself too much.
But every now and again I get in the zone and am 100%on plan! only to loose 1 maybe one and a half.
I very very rarely loose anything over that. And it annoys me cos I listen to people in my group, eat out and loose 3-4, then sit there saying ohh I don't know how I've done it. Well, no me neither.

I can get quite peed off with it, but st the end of the day, I'm not in competition with anyone but myself. I know what I have to do and my body will only do so much. It's just built differently to other peoples.

I go with a friend, who can loose easily, she lost 5 stone in the time it took me to loose 2, but lost control and put it all back on. While I still may have only lost 3 stone, I haven't put any back on.

Slow and steady, I just wish it wasn't quite so slow at times

Rivercam Wed 11-Feb-15 16:01:54

Since January 1st, i've only lost 4lb. Some people loose that in a week!

I can't quite understand how unlimited pasta, rice or potatoes will make you loose weight, so am trying to restrict these. I think I ate fairly healthily before, so find it difficult to tweak it got weight loss. Dry January helped, but now that's finished...

As Liz says, slow and steady.

Frizzcat Wed 11-Feb-15 16:34:30

I'm limiting my pasta/rice/potato intake River

liza congrats on the 3st and keeping it off

lizandlulu Wed 11-Feb-15 17:30:48

Before Christmas, the plan insisted on having one third of your plate with super free foods, eg.veg and fruit at every meal. Which really worked when I did it to the letter.
I don't think the new modified plan stresses that fact as clearly

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now