Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for work lunches

(11 Posts)
thobblywighs Mon 29-Dec-14 09:11:07

I am returning to slimming world tomorrow. Having followed the plan before I know that my sticking point is lunchtime! I really need some ideas that are not bread based but are quick and easy. As a teacher, my lunch hour generally involves marking, setting up lessons and lunchtime clubs so anything that can be eaten one handed is great! We do have a microwave but with 50 odd staff, the chances of getting to it, heating up food and having time to eat it are slim. Thanks

captainweasel Mon 29-Dec-14 09:29:25

Salad is your friend. Or crackers and humous with veg sticks. Or with cream cheese.

thobblywighs Mon 29-Dec-14 15:11:02

Thanks. Like the idea of raw veg and humous. Can I make my own by blitzing some chickpeas? Breakfast is easy but tends to be where I use my b choice so anything free for lunch is a plus.

Whyjustwhyagain Tue 30-Dec-14 08:57:17

It's really nice if you add some 0% Greek yogurt or fat free fromage frais and a squeeze of lemon juice to the blitzed chick peas to make a creamier tasting houmus

Whyjustwhyagain Tue 30-Dec-14 08:58:28

Frittata is also good for lunches
With salad and home made rice salad

endoflevelbaddy Tue 30-Dec-14 09:51:52

I make up a batch of pasta / rice / cous cous salad, use fat free yogurt & lemon juice as a dressing.
Spanish omelette as a free dinner and left overs for lunch with salad.
I keep mugshots in the car for lunch emergencies and just have that and a banana, but better if I've time to chuck crudités, fruit salad / yogurt together too.
I also really like (and never thought I would) roll ups of ham, little gem lettuce and the low fat laughing cow triangles - not sure if they're still an A choice as I've not been to a group in ages. Really nice with red pepper in the middle.
I also like to make up veg soup too and take in a flask but was never entirely sure whether it still counted as free.

coolaschmoola Tue 30-Dec-14 10:41:45

I'm a teacher too. Tabbouleh is my treat lunch. Rice salad, pasta salad, salad salad... And on the days when there isn't even time for those a syn free Mugshot!

I invested in a Systema salad box, soup mug and porridge mug. Best purchases EVER.

thobblywighs Tue 30-Dec-14 11:38:18

Thanks. I can foresee a few mugshot days coming up! I think that I need to do the same and invest in some nice tubs for salad etc (and then remember to bring them home before they grow green fur!). I am hopeful that I will remember to cook extra pasta, rice etc the night before although, hearing ably the new plan, it might be less pasta/rice heavy than before. Back to group tonight though so I should learn a bit more then.

MrsLindor Tue 30-Dec-14 11:58:48

I often make extra dinner to take to work for lunch, does usually require heating up though.

I also have a food flask which keeps soups etc. hot.

May have to have a rethinking myself though in light of the new plan, I've made the move from green to extra easy but haven't been into work yet.

katienana Wed 31-Dec-14 09:43:37

I used to heat soup first thing and put in a flask as my work place was awkward to use micro. with a really big flask it would have enough for a snack once kids have gone home.

storminabuttercup Sun 04-Jan-15 16:39:59

As pp said salad is your friend. I make up a huge tub of chopped salad to last a few days then stick in Ham, Tuna, prawns etc. Also tinned potatoes are a good addition to bulk it up if you like them.

Sw quiche is good too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now