Talk

Advanced search

Non-SW meals & eating out

(6 Posts)
PhoebeMcPeePee Fri 14-Mar-14 21:08:37

How do you go about calculating syns on food when you eat out at a friends or make something that isn't a SW recipe?
Eg dinner earlier this week was lasagne made in my usual way (so still got cheese, flour, mince albeit lean, lots of veg etc) only difference being I had a smaller portion with big salad.
Am I meant to be working out syns for the entire meal everything & then guesstimate my share?

And today at a friend's for lunch she'd made a quiche (shock) I had big salad & smaller than usual portion but no idea how much damage I should attribute to the quiche plus extra coffees with unmeasured milk. And dinner party tomorrow night an unknown quantity (bar pavlova for pudding shockshock)

How do you cope when you eat out & can't control what you have (ie at friends etc). Not a great week for dieting hmm

ShakkaKhan Fri 14-Mar-14 21:13:54

I just usually google it. There's a website called minimins or something (no I don't have any affiliation) and there's a lot of chat on there about syns. Or use the app/website if you're a member? You can search for say quiche and if there's a broad range I'll pick something in the middle. Not really exact but I don't have much time to be calculating things. And yes if I was making lasagne I would work out the syns in the individual ingredients and then divide that by number of portions I ate. eg a quarter of it.

I do find it difficult to eat out though when doing SW, I tend to just eat a lot of free stuff before I go and then just eat a salad. Or like my consultant says, stay on plan all day and then either go for the food or drink. So make a good choice on food and syn your drink, or go wild on food but stick to diet coke.

ShakkaKhan Fri 14-Mar-14 21:14:55

Also if I'm not sure on syns and I'm round a friend's I do what you did - try and fill up on salad/free/superfree stuff and hope they dont notice I havent had a massive portion of the main dish

PhoebeMcPeePee Fri 14-Mar-14 22:36:12

Thanks that's really helpful grin

ShakkaKhan Sat 15-Mar-14 08:12:58

I've also found it helpful to measure my milk allowance into 'cups of tea', so I've found 250mls of SS milk makes I think 8 cups of tea at the strength I have it. Then if I have tea at a friends I know roughly how much to account for

littlemefi Sat 15-Mar-14 13:58:42

On SW website there are loads of recipes for" normal" food adapted to be low/syn free, eg lasagne made with extra lean mince, bulk out with extra veg, and white sauce am with quark/eggs etc.
if I know I'm going out for a meal or to a friends, I tend to try to be otherwise syn free the rest of the day and if possible also save my HEs in case there is extras in that meal ie cheese.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now