Talk

Advanced search

Cracked daytime naps, why won't he settle at night?

(15 Posts)
Feffi Tue 16-Aug-05 21:54:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Feffi Wed 17-Aug-05 08:55:50

Feffi Wed 17-Aug-05 13:35:49

MascaraOHara Wed 17-Aug-05 13:42:24

couldn't help but laugh at the title.

Does he sleep in the sam eplace during his nap and at night?

Feffi Wed 17-Aug-05 14:20:43

orangina Wed 17-Aug-05 14:29:14

Feffi, we clearly need to morph our babies.... my dd is about the same age as your ds, and sleeps well and night, but I'm having a hard time trying to get her to nap properly during the day. I'm not a control freak, she just gets v overtired and meltdown occurs late afternoon, making it v. difficult to feed and settle in the evening. As a matter of interest, how did you sort your day time naps out? And re: your disrupted evenings, are you getting enough food in him during the day? Your dilemma is an odd one, in that they say that a baby that naps well during the day sleeps better at night. Will he settle himself if you just leave him, w/o hairdryer, rocking etc?

MascaraOHara Wed 17-Aug-05 15:20:43

sorry didn't mean to offend..

Cracked daytime naps, why won't he settle at night?

It was just the way I read it and my weird sense of humour!

Is there anything specifically different about day and night (besides the obvious). Are you sure he needs his nap?

Eaney Wed 17-Aug-05 15:53:17

Just a thought. Perhaps he is too well rested to go to bed at 7pm. How much does he sleep in the day? Could it be too much?
What do I know my first slept during the day but not at night and my second doesn't sleep day or night.

Feffi Wed 17-Aug-05 16:13:30

madmarchhare Wed 17-Aug-05 16:20:43

You said he goes down awake during the day but asleep at night. Is that right? It could be that he is unsure of wear he is when he wakes. Also, when he wakes at naptime you get him up. So, it seems he needs to learn to sooth himself back to sleep.

madmarchhare Wed 17-Aug-05 16:21:18

where he is - sorry!

MascaraOHara Wed 17-Aug-05 16:24:40

Feffi, Glad i didn't offend you! Personally I found a reasonably strict bedtime routine worked really well for dd. Also have you tried giving last feed in the dark in the quiet or with some soothing music on really low? it might help him to wind down.

Feffi Wed 17-Aug-05 16:41:24

jambot Thu 18-Aug-05 15:56:28

My dd is 5 months. We have always had a good bedtime routine, similar to yours. I start her bath routine from anywhere between 5:40 and 6:15. As soon as I see any vague signs of tiredness (normally ear batting), I run her bath straight away. I try to get her into her bed sleepy but awake. She fell asleep on her bottle the other night and despite my attempts to stir her she didn't want to know. For the first time in months she woke after being down for a while. I really think the key is to try and prevent them falling asleep during the feed. They don't take their full feed and you end up lowering them into bed asleep. She sleeps with a little tag blankie. If she wakes and can't seem to go off on her own again, I go in, put her blankie back into her hand near her face and just say Shh, Shh,nothing else, and leave the room again. Seems to do the trick. I swear by that little blanket. It is her sleep cue and also works wonders with her naps. You can find one at www.babysense.co.za. The book is also very good.

Feffi Thu 18-Aug-05 16:23:11

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now