Talk

Advanced search

Naps changing at 6months

(8 Posts)
Tipex Sun 14-Aug-05 18:16:09

Hi all, just a quick strawpoll please!. DS seems to be getting harder and harder to get down for his first morning nap. Used to be within 2hrs of being up and last 45mins but now seems to resist it altho looks tired. hes ok in himself altho a bit grumpy if he doesnt get his sleep.
Just wondered tho, at what age do naps start altering from the classic morning then lunchtime +/- late afternoon nap? should I let him stay up alot longer and aim for a late morning nap and then late afternoon? He did that today and only had 2x30mins naps so hes really tired for bedtime.

poppy101 Sun 14-Aug-05 18:24:07

I do the following

6.30am up
8.30am sleep (30 min nap)
12.00 sleep (2 hours nap)
Have cut out pm sleep as he is now 11 months old
6.00 sleep (trying to get him later but so tired).

I gave an afternoon sleep for 20 minutes and cut out about 5-6 months, cant quite remember.

Tipex Sun 14-Aug-05 19:10:58

bump

futurity Sun 14-Aug-05 19:38:36

DS2 (also 6 months) now gets up about 6.45 ish and has first nap just after 9 where he sleeps for 30 mins to 45 mins depending on his mood that day! He also seemed to resist it but I kept at it as he couldn't last without it and now he sleeping again at this time. I think I was putting him down too early..ie still after 2 hours so let him stay up a little bit longer as even just 5 extra mins seemed to make the difference. He then goes down again about 12.15 after lunch and sleeps for exactly 2 hours (you could set his watch by him!) He then will have a nap very rarely if we are coming back from somewhere in the car around 4.30 ish but that is getting quite rare now.

DS1 gave up morning nap around 13 months I think and would then have lunch nap earlier around 12 ish ..I remember when this first happened he would sleep for 2 1/2 to 3 hours!

HTH

futurity Sun 14-Aug-05 19:40:37

Woops...forgot to add that he has bath at 6pm and then last feed at 6.30 and bed by 7 (whether he goes to sleep at 7 is again dependant on the mood of the day!!!)

Tipex Sun 14-Aug-05 20:13:28

futurity, if DS EVER had a 2 hour nap I would run naked around the park in glee!!!!

Bozza Sun 14-Aug-05 21:15:08

Both mine dropped to two naps by 6 months old. But although this not the usual pattern had the longer nap in the morning, something like this:

Up 6 am (ish)
Nap 9 until 10.30
Nap 2.30 unitl 3.30
Bed 7.30

All very approximate there.

futurity Sun 14-Aug-05 21:17:22

LOL! Believe me...it has only recently started to happen and doesn't also happen every day! He used to wake without fail after 40 mins into a nap which was fine sometimes but other times he was screaming and not happy..I knew he needed more sleep (I went through this with DS1 so gave me more confidence knowing what he needed). It was only after weaning became firmly established (espeically now he has his meat!) that I think he is full enough and tired enough to sleep for that longer stretch (but this only happens in his cot in dark room in quietish environment so a bit restrictive!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now