Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

baby having probs breathing on her back - has a snotty nose

(11 Posts)
mogwai Wed 10-Aug-05 23:02:02

almost 6 weeks old, fine during the day, wakes up in the night with a scream when her nose gets blocked and she can't breathe. The snot seems caught in her pharynx and it really distresses her (and me).

My husband turned her onto her tummy one night, without my knowledge, I was pretty annoyed when I saw her in the morning, but it did help her breathing. Since then, I've resorted to flipping her onto her tummy as a last resort, but then, you guessed it, I get no sleep because I'm totally paranoid she's not on her back.

My mum reckons generations of babies slept on their tummies, including me.

What do you all think? I'm just thinking, until her snotty nose clears up, may be better all round. And PLEASE.....don't post alarmist replies!

jessicaandbumpsmummy Wed 10-Aug-05 23:03:16

raise one end of the cot by putting a pillow of somethign under the matress so she isnt laying flat. Jess is now 12.5 months but even have to do it now when she has a cold.... works wonders.

jessicaandbumpsmummy Wed 10-Aug-05 23:03:16

raise one end of the cot by putting a pillow of somethign under the matress so she isnt laying flat. Jess is now 12.5 months but even have to do it now when she has a cold.... works wonders.

mogwai Wed 10-Aug-05 23:08:02

I did that once, used a pillow, but found her scrunched up at the bottom of the bed in the morning

I have a blanket under it now, but doesn't seem to make a difference. I have even considered putting her baby chari into the recline position and putting it into her cot!!!

moondog Wed 10-Aug-05 23:09:45

You can buy those little pipettes to suction out the snot. (The woman who wrote the 'Best friends Guides' series mentions seeing her Uruguayan nanny suck it out herself! Worth a try??)

mogwai Wed 10-Aug-05 23:14:23

I have a nuk snotsucker moondog. She bloody screeeeeeams when I use it, and it doesn't get much snot out. I think it's more in her pharynx than her nose

moondog Wed 10-Aug-05 23:16:05

Steamy room??
Dab of something menthol on the babygro?

I occasionally left mine to sleep in the carseat if they were like this. (Don't think it's adviced though.)

Skribble Thu 11-Aug-05 00:30:39

You get milder versions of vicks and olbas, you don't have to apply it direct just nearby.

MarsLady Thu 11-Aug-05 00:34:13

I use Children's Olbas oil. Works every time.

jabberwocky Thu 11-Aug-05 03:07:02

We put ds's car seat in his bed (recommended in one of our baby books) and it helped a lot. Also sitting in steamy bathroom.

jabberwocky Thu 11-Aug-05 07:28:22

Of course, that's before bedtime!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now