Talk

Advanced search

Awake every 2 hours at 6 months

(6 Posts)
Lilliput Fri 05-Aug-05 10:55:56

I have posted just recently about what to do about ds who is nearly six months old and is waking every 2 to 2.5 hours at night. I wanted advice as to wether I should do controlled crying etc but I wondered if there is anything else I could do. He is breastfed and is in the habit of settling back to sleep only on the boob. Would switching to bottle at night help, offering water etc. Anyone cracked a similar problem without controlled crying or pick up put down. I sorry if I am getting repetitive in my postings but I have not had more than a 3 hour stretch of sleep for months now and this type of mother torture should be reported to the united nations!

otto Fri 05-Aug-05 11:47:46

I was in much the same situation and finally cracked at around 7 months and did controlled crying. It worked very quickly. I did try everything else before I did that, but nothing worked. I had to do it because I was back at work and life had become unbearable. By then, ds was more of less on formula all the time, so it did make it easier to stop night feeding. I'm not sure how you approach it if you still breastfeed. Do you have a dp or dh to help out with this and offer water during the night?

jambot Fri 05-Aug-05 11:52:15

Does he have a dummy or some other comforter such as a blankie? Would think that at his age he is using the boob purely as a means of comfort. How long does he stay on before he is ready to settle again? Have you tried settling him without offering him a feed?

dinosaur Fri 05-Aug-05 11:57:20

You have my every sympathy Lilliput as my DS3 (just turned one) was exactly like this. I took the line of least resistance and just had him in bed with me and let him latch on whenever he wanted to, so that I could get some sleep myself. Within the last month or so we have actually managed to get him sleeping in his cot, however, and he now sleeps from 7.30 p.m. until about 6 a.m.

morningpaper Fri 05-Aug-05 12:03:58

Didn't crack it until much later but eventually did it by Daddy going in instead of me.

hermykne Fri 05-Aug-05 12:39:45

lilliput
i just stopped feeding my ds in the night at about 7mths, prior to that it was 11pm and maybe 2pm, then 5/6am, i just decided one night not to feed him and he soon settled
imo if u give him a bottle that 'll be another habit to withdraw him from in another couple of weeks,
he was kinda ignored if he cried (roared)- i was just too tired to do a method on him for sleep, so either me or dh would go in ever so often, mean but it worked. if he got really bad, that dd might wake i'd lift him and cuddle and resettle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now