Talk

Advanced search

Is it unusual for a newborn not to sleep during the day?

(11 Posts)
morningpaper Fri 05-Aug-05 08:31:38

Now I'm expecting no. 2, I've been looking through some notes I made when dd was born. She would sleep from mid-night until about 11am (waking every 1.5-2 hours for feeding) - fairly normal I think - but she NEVER slept during the day AT ALL.

Is that unusual? All my friends newborns seem to be permanently asleep.

triceratops Fri 05-Aug-05 08:38:47

How very organised to have notes. I just have a very faulty memory. As far as I can remember ds never slept at all between 3pm and midnight. He had colic and screamed his head off for six weeks. He always slept if he was in his sling or moving in the car but woke the minuite we stopped.

And yes all my friends babies slept constantly too.

I can't belive I am doing it again

niceglasses Fri 05-Aug-05 08:39:55

Nobody believes me, but my first son very very rarely slept as a tiny baby. Maybe if you went out in the buggy but would wake on stopping. I was totally shocked as had idea babies slept all day. DS2 was better but DD1 is very similar to DS1 - very little sleep during day (er, or night actually until very recently).

Its all a big lie to keep the human race going..........

morningpaper Fri 05-Aug-05 08:40:40

I think I made notes the way that people trapped on desert islands facing death make notes.

Mine was also colicky and screamed constantly unless she was in a sling.

SOOOO looking forward to the new arrival...!

morningpaper Fri 05-Aug-05 08:41:51

Yes niceglasses a lot of people just didn't believe me, I remember that well!

The midwives were always saying "Sleep when the baby sleeps" and I would say UH well yes I DO tend to turn in around midnight actually...

compo Fri 05-Aug-05 08:53:55

they say newborns should have 16 hours sleep a day. At the beginning I think my ds took that to me 5 minutes asleep at the breast five minutes awake and so on and so on!!!

beansprout Fri 05-Aug-05 09:06:59

Ds didn't sleep much during the day. Anyone who came 'round would constantly comment on his "ability" to stay awake for so long. I began to feel a bit paranoid but he was and is fine.

dinny Fri 05-Aug-05 09:07:54

Morningpaper, dd slept constantly as a newborn - ds didn't sleep a wink in the daytime until about 10 weeks (when he found his thumb).

acnebride Fri 05-Aug-05 09:36:00

has anyone sent this thread to motherinferior or has she stopped being broody???

mogwai Sat 06-Aug-05 00:49:48

my little 5 week old baby will not sleep during the day unless she is in her pram, or the car.

Oh yeah, she goes to sleep if the hoover is next to her crib too. Actually, it's quite comical. You put her down, she fusses, so you hit the yellow button on the dyson. It's like her "off" switch

I HATE it when people advise me to "get a rest when baby is asleep". I'd be pretty talented if I could sleep AND push her around the prak. Duuuurrrrr!

mogwai Sat 06-Aug-05 00:50:18

prak?

park!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now