Talk

Advanced search

Unwelcome shift to a later bedtime for a 15 month old

(7 Posts)
Joshuasmum Mon 25-Jul-05 21:02:07

Okay, I am at the end of my tether on this one...
it is almost 9pm and my ds is still tossing and turning and moaning in his cot.
About a month ago he converted from a baby that we could barely keep awake beyond 7pm to one that doesn't appear to wantt o go to bed. On average he seems to go to sleep at about 8:15pm. This wouldn't be so bad if he actually slept in a bit, but he stil gets up between 6am and 6:45am and is then grizzly all morning because he hasn't had enough sleep.
He sleeps 1 hour 30 to 2 hours in the afternoon. I don't let him sleep beyond 3 if I can help it.
I tried putting him to bed a half hour later to tire him out a bit mre - no help.
I thought it was the light or the heat, but there doesn't seem to be a link.
I tried a quiet winding down in his room for 20 min before bedtime - no help either
We did have a new tooth come thro a couple of weeks ago, but how often do you blame it on teething...?
Any suggestions? Tonight he is STILL awake and I have just resorted to Calpol...

hunkermunker Mon 25-Jul-05 21:09:19

Can you try putting him down for a morning nap? DS often naps about 10 or 11 for a couple of hours, then is up until bedtime (which is about 8-8.30) - he wakes about 7.30-8am.

Joshuasmum Mon 25-Jul-05 21:14:31

Ds dropped his am nap about a month ago. Will only drop off if we happen to be in the car or out in the buggy at about 10am. At the childinder (3 days a week) he hasn't done an am nap for about 6 months. Reluctant to introduce one again since he seems to prefer sleeping after lunch. Sigh.....

Chuffed Tue 26-Jul-05 12:26:10

dd is exactly the same - I hope it is just an age thing. We had one night where she didn't sleep until 9.30 then woke up at 7am just the same.

Joshuasmum Wed 27-Jul-05 10:03:39

Any other ideas....?

Desperate.....!

Chuffed Wed 27-Jul-05 10:54:02

Had a good night last night Joshuasmum I'm wondering whether I'm missing a 'small' window of tiredness if you know what I mean. I cut out one story last night (she normally has 3), turned the lights off and it was only a little light as we don't have blackout curtains and I sat int he room and recited the very long version of itsybitsy spider rather than reading it as a story. I got a clap at the end but she seemed a lot more settled and ready to sleep last night compared to other nights so may try that again tonight.

Joshuasmum Wed 27-Jul-05 14:01:29

Thanks Chuffed! Will look at bedtime routine. Actually went to sleep last night just after 7 I thik that this was due to the previous late night and 2 days of short naps (what is up with that...?) We'll see what happens tonight! Hope it is ok for Thurs 'cause I have a friend babysitting so my dh and I can get our outing to the Theatre!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now