Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

NAPS - please help me!

(9 Posts)
jandrsmum Thu 21-Jul-05 08:15:08

Hello. This is the second time I've tried this, but no one has yet answered, so I thought I'd have another go! I would love it if anyone could help.
DD who's three was an angel baby and sort of got herself into a routine. DS, 12 weeks, is lovely, but not as well behaved! He just is very unhappy sleeping in the day. I can get him back to sleep at around 9am, but he wakes up about 40 mins later in a fury and screams until he falls asleep again (via a cuddle or a walk, usually), so I'm guessing he needs more sleep at this time. Do you have any suggestions?
But worse is the fact that, although he's obviously tired, he won't sleep at lunchtime (or any time later in the day) and will just cry in his cot when I put there (even though he's yawned etc). He will sleep if I cuddle him, but I can't do that all the time because I need to spend time with his sister. Did anyone else have this problem as I could really do with some help? I have tried leaving him to cry, but he just goes on and on and doesn't cry himself to sleep. I thought he might be hungry, but started to feed him and he then fell asleep - of course....
He goes to bed happily at night in his cot, by the way.

Fran1 Thu 21-Jul-05 08:18:40

I never left my baby crying to go to sleep so i cannot help really.

I just feel they are still very young and if they can't get to sleep quickly then they are going to cry for some comfort.

I used to cuddle/feed/walk dd to sleep. or sit by her cot side in a dark room and pat her off.

I appreciate you have your older dd to think of, but can you ask her to do something quietly whilst you get your son to sleep and then she will have your undivided attention?

throckenholt Thu 21-Jul-05 08:21:34

apparently 40-45 mins is when sleep changes from one form to another (light to deep ?), and it is a classic time for babies to wake up. If you can just calm him and put him back to sleep and hopefully he will go for another hour or so.

Also babies at that age get tired very quickly - often within an hour of waking, and usually within 2 hours maximum. Try and get him to sleep before he gets overtired (the 2 hours rule really worked well for mine). For mine by the time they were yawning it was too late. So put him down a bit before you think he is tired. Also maybe try getting a routine (eg in a cot, in a sleeping bag, with a short bit of music) anything really that he can associate with sleeping.

You are not alone - this is a really common thing - you were lucky your dd didn't do it . There have been lots of threads about this - have a look in the old messages.

nicmum2boys Thu 21-Jul-05 08:26:29

Hi, with both my DSs I followed the general rule that they shouldn't be awake longer than 2 hours without a nap, in fact, think it may even have been only 1 1/2 hours at 12 weeks, but definately no longer than 2. I found this worked really well, and often if it got to the stage where they are yawning they are overtired by then. The other thing that really worked with DS2 was swaddling. Wrap him up tight in a cotton sheet, so he can't flail around. It really helped him feel more secure, and his sleep improved no end, he would sleep for 1 or 2 hours at a time instead of waking up screaming after 45mins.
Hope some of this helps, I remember how stressful it was when they wont sleep but you know they're tired.

bootsmonkey Thu 21-Jul-05 08:27:29

My DD only had one or two 40 minute naps during the day at this age and you could time each one to the second. I believe that this is a normal sleep cycle at this age and 40mins is when they come in to light sleep and often surface. In time they learn to settle themselves back down on their own and sleep for longer. She didn't discover napping proper until she was 18mths. Vigourous bouncing in her bouncy chair or walks in the pram helped in getting her off, but you could spend an hour to an hour and a half, to get 40mins peace. Have you tried a sling when he's very tired?? It means he is close to you, but you are still free to move about? Or just let him have the one nap? If he is sleeping well at night then perhaps he is just one of those babies that don't need much sleep?

Not much help, sorry, but we never cracked the sleep thing with our DD, so I am not the best person to give advice. Having said that we normally go through the night now without a murmur and are trying to wean her off her daytime nap (1.5-2hrs) She is 3.2!!

bootsmonkey Thu 21-Jul-05 08:30:58

Agree with the swaddling thing and the 2hr rule (funny how quickly you forget!) DD was an early riser, so I remember the bliss of being able to go back to sleep again at about 7.30 for forty minutes. Seemed like a huge treat at the time!!

jandrsmum Thu 21-Jul-05 15:40:37

Thank you for all the tips, and I have looked back at old messages, which was useful. But (there had to be a but), I do put him down when he's been awake for up to two hours, and I have tried the shushing, and it simply hasn't worked! He screams like a banshee. Today he woke up after 30 mins in the morning and went mental and I don't even want to go into the attempts to have an afternoon sleep....Any more tips? Thnnk you all so much

Feffi Thu 21-Jul-05 15:47:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pjsmum Fri 22-Jul-05 10:05:58

Hi, my 5 month dd is the same. She sleeps at night 8 til 5ish thankfully, put in her cot and within half an hour fast asleep. Might have a little grumble but thats it. However in the day its a nightmare, cot,pram car, being rocked, cuddled whatever she screams like a child possessed! I don't like to see or hear her like that but nothing seems to help her settle. Sorry no advice but i've been told she'll grow out of it (yeah when she's 18!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now