Talk

Advanced search

2yo getting up in night - HELP!

(13 Posts)
GeeCee Wed 20-Jul-05 10:00:58

Hi there,
My 2yr and 1month old ds has recently started waking up in the night and coming into our room . Having fallen out of his cot with a thump we've moved him to a mattress on the floor (planning to move to bed soon). he had a stomach bug recently which meant he was waking in night having done a poo. Now now is fine, but he is waking 2-3 times a night, and coming into our bed. He wriggles so much that we don't want him there. When we take him back to his room he struggles to go back to sleep. We are all cracking up... HELP! What shall we do? How do you do controlled crying when he can get out of bed, and walk into our room? Does getting angry help? Any suggestions, please!!
we're desperate!
gx

geogteach Wed 20-Jul-05 10:14:59

No suggestions but just to let you know you're not alone my DD exactly same age has also taking to getting up, doesn't come into our bed but insists 'my mummy' sits in her room, if we refuse she screams and bangs on the door - maybe its the age?!

GeeCee Wed 20-Jul-05 12:03:31

bump bump...anyone help please!!!

Lucycat Wed 20-Jul-05 12:08:13

Our dd2 who is 2.2 years has started waking in the night again, but I think it's because she's been feeling rotten with a cold. I think we'll just have to keep perservering with the taking back to bed lark and hope she gets the hint that she's not coming into our bed - our dd is still in her cot bed though so it IS very different.

Sorry I haven't been much help! Just keep perservering!

Nemo1977 Wed 20-Jul-05 12:09:02

is he waking for a reason like a drink etc or is he wanting to play?

GeeCee Wed 20-Jul-05 12:11:49

Doesn't ask for drink or anything. Says he wants to come into our bed, and then when we take him back to his bed, he wants us to stay in his room. The minute we go out (saying, firmly, it is sleep time) he follows.
we all feel dreadful today,
Any thoughts???
gx

Nemo1977 Wed 20-Jul-05 12:23:04

my ds [21 mths] does this sometimes and what i do is put a cd on quietly and then sit there for a couple of mins before moving away. When he starts moaning for attention or me to stay i just say its sleep time. My son is in a bed and we have a gate on his door so i then leave and if he cries again will tell him im going to bed as its sleep time. This usually does the trick with him, maybe the fact he has the gate on helps as he knows it is closed so time to sleep. We usually open the gate again once he is asleep or when we are going to bed as i like him to be able to come and get me if something is wrong but he rarely gets up now until morning

Whizzz Wed 20-Jul-05 18:59:49

We got one of those bunny alarm clocks like this & said DS could only get out of bed if the bunny was awake.

We made a big thing about the clock being very special - worked for us

geogteach Thu 21-Jul-05 09:54:06

Suggestion from a friend last night that I might try, put travel cot in the room and make it clear that if they keep getting up they will have to sleep in the cot.

GeeCee Thu 21-Jul-05 10:08:00

THanks for the suggestsions. Just after sending these messages I got a phone call from his nursery, saying he'd just been sick. So maybe something was brewing!
Anyway, last night he only woke once, and had fallen off his mattress - maybe that is what is waking him!! We're going to get a bed guard, and put his bed up properly - so fingers crossed!
Whizz - how old was yours when you started using Bunny clock? Also - we use blackout blinds, so am not sure he'd even be able to see it!
thanks,
gx

LooneyLaura Fri 22-Jul-05 13:35:58

We had the same problem with our DD. We were tearing out our hair. We started with the back to bed and sitting in her room til she dropped off. Then it went on to the slepping on her floor. I put blankets on the floor and slept on them for a while, at least that way we all got some sleep.

HappyHuggy Fri 22-Jul-05 13:39:03

My 3 year old does this it drives me mad!!!

hes up and down the stairs all night and when we put a stair gate on his room he would stand at the door and scream, waking the baby up!!!!

GeeCee Wed 27-Jul-05 14:59:57

Hi there,
Just a follow-up message, which is positive!
We got the bed-guard, and that has helped a lot - think he was falling off the mattress, and that was waking him. And when he does wake up we've also been doing the 'straight back to bed - no talking - no discussion' thing. We do that if he wakes anytime before 6am, then after 6am he is allowed to put on his light and 'read' on his own bed. But he isn't allowed into our room until 6:45. And (touch wood!) so far it is working really well. He seems to be waking much less in the night, and it has also helped the early morning wakings - which is fab! Y'day he woke at 5:30, but went back to sleep (after we took him back to bed a couple of times) until nearly 7... today he squeeked at 5:45, but went back to sleep without either of us having to take him back to bed. He then slept until nearly 7. It is AGES since neither of us got out of bed before 7!
thanks for your thoughts and advice!
gx
ps - I'm still wondering how old children are who have used the bunny clock? Anyone?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now