Talk

Advanced search

do bad sleepers get better on their own eventually?

(9 Posts)
Tipex Sun 17-Jul-05 14:57:59

My 21 weeks DS is a bit of a rotten sleeper.He tends to wake 2-3x nightly eg down at 7pm, awake at 11ish (maybe), 2ish then 5 ish. up at 6. He will settle without a feed providing he is rocked a fair bit and cries alot, often easier to put him on the boob altho he doesnt take much of a feed other than at the 3am wakening. Goes down easily after this.
Question is, I have been persevering with getting him to settle himself at night as read this will help and I can now feed him,rock him a couple of minutes then he'll go in cot drowsy and settle himself. However its made no impact on his sleep. I cant do this with his naps, he has to go down asleep for them. Is he EVER likely to just get better at sleeping as he matures or is there unlikely to be an improvement without something like cc?

Anyone have any stories of sleepers that just got better by themselves?

expatinscotland Sun 17-Jul-05 15:08:03

Dunno by that age, but I was always a crap sleeper and still am.

collision Sun 17-Jul-05 15:08:07

Is he weaned yet? I have found that once my boys were weaned they did settle better as you knew they were full of food and didnt really need any more food. When they are BF you never quite know if they are full enough.

Once ds2 was weaned we moved him out of our room and downstairs in the kitchen which is cooler and meant that I didnt stir at every move he made. He woke up a few times, screamed the place down, DH went into him, patted him on the back and he went back to sleep. He only did this one night and now sleeps from 7-7pm. Bliss!

21 weeks is still quite small really

collision Sun 17-Jul-05 15:08:42

LOL expat!!! that was helpful

Tipex Sun 17-Jul-05 16:23:18

LOL expat. I'm hoping tho that you dont get mum and dad up at night to get you back to sleep
<shudder at thought of trying to rock DS when hes 20!!>

CarolinaMoon Sun 17-Jul-05 16:39:32

ds has always been crap at sleeping, to the extent that I've never been able to put him down drowsy for him to just drop off to sleep - he'll just cry until he's wide awake.

I thought solids would help and tbh they have a bit, but the biggest help has been crawling - he now seems to get properly tired iykwim, not just mentally overworked, and his sleep is now much deeper. He still hasn't quite got the hang of dropping off to sleep though, he's just less likely to wake up if disturbed.

littlerach Sun 17-Jul-05 18:13:11

DD2 wasn't a good sleeper at all, she disturbed very easily. I think that she did just get better, partly as she became more mobile, so was actually more tired, also we started to leave her to go to sleep on her own, but cou;ldn't really do cc, more gradual withdrawal.

She goes to sleep on her own now, and withpout crying, and generally doesn't disturb in the night unless there is something that wakes her.

She is 11 months now, and only really startdeto go through at about 7-8 months, though before that she wasn't needing a feed, just comfort to go back to sleep.

spidermama Sun 17-Jul-05 18:29:02

His sleeping pattern sounds fairly typical if my 4 are anything to go by. My babies don't tend to sleep through until they're at least one.

Saacsmum Fri 22-Jul-05 08:06:03

so is the answer to the original question yes no or sometimes? would love some long sleeps at night in our house also.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now