Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DH having real problems sleeping. Any ideas to help?

(12 Posts)
Nbg Wed 13-Jul-05 09:03:45

He's always been a bit of a funny sleeper. Many a time he's got up in the morning and said he would have been wide awake till the early hours.

He's so far on his 6th day of work and will have to work again tomorrow but some of his work involves him staying over and he says that sleeping in a different bed doesn't help.

I know he has the worries that most people have with money, stresses of work etc but there must be something he can do to help him get more sleep.

Has anyone been through the same thing and can you reccommend anything that would help?
TIA

Nbg Wed 13-Jul-05 09:22:02

bump

charleepeters Wed 13-Jul-05 09:23:49

I know some men may find this girly but i always find a ot bath with pure lavander oil in works a treat, its a natural relaxent, or herbal nightall(sp) if he doesnt want to take chemicals works well.

katierocket Wed 13-Jul-05 09:24:52

meditation would really help but he'd obviously have to be open to that kind of thing. I used to have really terrible sleepless nights then I learnt a form of meditation called TM. I couldn't believe the fantastic sleep I had after doing it for the first few times.

Nbg Wed 13-Jul-05 09:26:01

Thanks CP.

He did try a sleeping tablet once but it didn't work. It wasn't the one you mentioned so I might give it a go.

Got to try something as it's really starting to get him down.

Nbg Wed 13-Jul-05 09:27:26

Did you go to a class KR or did you learn it yourself?

He has said he wants me to teach him some of my Yoga moves to help his back problems so I'm sure he would give it a go.

NotQuiteCockney Wed 13-Jul-05 09:31:17

There are a few things he can try:

1. He should always be going to bed at the same time, if possible.

2. No caffeine within a few hours of sleep.

3. No serious exercise within a few hours of sleep.

4. Not much alcohol before sleep.

5. Develop a bedtime routine (e.g. reading, or TM as recommended, or a bath) and stick to it.

6. If possible, when travelling, can he bring something to make the different bed familiar? e.g. a pillow? Or I'd be inclined to use a white noise machine at home and use the same kind when travelling?

7. I often find having white carb before sleep helps me fall asleep.

It's worth trying to work out what makes the difference - for me, sound is a big deal for sleep. For DH, he can't stand any light when he's trying to sleep.

katierocket Wed 13-Jul-05 09:31:42

I learnt with these people NBG (have a look at the 'What is TM?' and 'Evidence' pages
here
they do courses in London Manchester and Newcastle and it was just a weekend course. I heard about it on MN actually (I think it was Countess Dracula that recommended it). The 'original' TM foundation charge over £1000 to learn but these guys set up their own teaching after becoming disillusioned by the amount being charged. I can't praise it highly enough and it's not weird chanting, sandal wearing oddness. It's actually just a very simple technique that has amazing results.

Nbg Wed 13-Jul-05 09:58:45

Thanks for that KR.

NQC, No.3 No seroius exercise. Does that include.. ahem.. (whispering) s.e.x?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 13-Jul-05 10:10:35

Nbg, I wouldn't count sex as serious exercise, no, not unless you're doing for hours. I mean, like running or biking or something. A walk is fine.

Sex actually helps sleep, I think.

jambot Wed 13-Jul-05 15:22:16

2 calmag tablets as you get into bed. The magnesium apparently relaxes the muscles and helps you sleep. A friend of mine whose husband has similar sleep issues swears by them. If he wakes up in the night, he takes 2 more and it helps him go back to sleep.

Nbg Wed 13-Jul-05 15:32:12

Thanks Jambot.

I'll get some of these tablets from the chemist tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now