Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping on front - 6 months old. Is it ok? Does hot weather make a difference?

(13 Posts)
Magscat Tue 12-Jul-05 20:21:52

DD is 6 months and has just learnt to turn over. She's just turned onto her front and is half asleep with her fingers in her mouth.

I checked current messages and there was one where most people said sleeping on front is ok but one line mentioned SIDS concern is about the gut over-heating if they are on their front.

What does anyone think - should I worry about her sleeping on her front in this heat ? (I would turn her over but I'm sure she'll wake up and only twist back again - she's been getting stuck).

NotQuiteCockney Tue 12-Jul-05 20:22:48

I wouldn't worry. I'd dress her lightly in this weather, obviously. At 6 months, the SIDS risk is pretty low, particularly if you don't have any other risk factors (smoking in house, preemie baby, baby generally unwell).

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Jul-05 20:23:18

I thought the advice was if they can turn themselves over then you should leave them (since you can't possibly spend all night checking!) I would put her to sleep on her back but not worry if she turned herself. The risk of SID goes down after six months too IIRC. So if it were me I wouldn't worry at all.

Magscat Tue 12-Jul-05 20:23:47

Thanks NQC. She is only in nappy & vest-suit. No other risk factors. Fan on in room though still hot in there.

Magscat Tue 12-Jul-05 20:24:30

WWW - I think I've read that as well so prob should stop worrying. Thanks

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Jul-05 20:27:43

Magscat, I was right, that's the FSID advice too

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Jul-05 20:28:25

From that site: " If you find your baby has rolled onto their tummy, turn them onto their back again and tuck them in, but don't feel you have to get up all night to check. Babies will at some point learn to roll onto their front. When the baby can roll from back to front and back again, on their own, then leave them to find their own position. At the start of any sleep time, put them on their back."

There you go, hope you're reassured!

NotQuiteCockney Tue 12-Jul-05 20:31:53

Once both my babies mastered rolling, they started rolling over. And for quite a while, would always sleep on their stomachs with their bottoms in the air (up on their knees). Very strange position, it doesn't look even vaguely comfortable to me.

Magscat Tue 12-Jul-05 20:33:02

WWW - Thanks for going to the trouble of looking it up for me. She can't yet roll back onto her back so I might wait until she's in a deeper sleep & try putting her on her back again. Think I'll give up if she rolls over again though.

Hopefully it'll be cooler later ! Too much heat for me too - pale skin, red hair, too much weight - I hate this sun/heat

Ruthiebaby Wed 13-Jul-05 14:24:47

Interesting. My ds is 5 mths now and can roll over onto his belly and roll back over again. I've always turned him back over when I see him (as I sleep in the same room as him).

It's nice to know that I can be a bit more relaxed about it, but I think I'd still be inclined to turn him back over.

angelcake99 Thu 28-Jul-05 03:35:14

Im so pleased you have asked this question as my 6 month old son is doing likewise. I have been awake during the night so much since he started turning onto his front. I have been tempted to buy an Angel baby monitor to put under his mattress, DP thinks i am being totally over the top about it. It is good to hear a few reassuring words!

bobbybob Thu 28-Jul-05 04:09:41

Once you put them to sleep on their backs, relax if they can turn over, they will be able to move positions if they need to (they don't need to be able to turn over onto their backs again).

Nightynight Thu 28-Jul-05 07:32:32

dd1 did the same at about this age, and in the heat of summer. I turned her back over a few times, only for her to turn herself firmly onto her tummy again. So I left it. I think it is true that they can now move if too hot. Most SIDS happens in babies under 6 months doesnt it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now