Talk

Advanced search

Length of time to Bottle feed

(12 Posts)
Mum2Millie Tue 12-Jul-05 12:51:48

Bottle feeding(6 fl oz) is taking about an hour, taking into account burping - very windy 8 week old baby. I've read it should take about 20-30 mins!
Is this too long??

misdee Tue 12-Jul-05 12:54:40

dd3 is only just taking 6oz bottles at 5months. could you be giving baby too much? does he/she sick a lot up? does he/she cry for more when you take the bottle away?

Mum2Millie Tue 12-Jul-05 13:04:49

She doesn't sick up very much, a tiny bit but not every time.
She is quite big (12lb) and will drain the bottle, and yes will definitely protest if I take it away!!!

misdee Tue 12-Jul-05 13:05:43

similar weight to my 5month old then.

is she sleepy when feeding?

Seona1973 Tue 12-Jul-05 13:09:05

what flow teat are you using? It might be time to move to a faster one. What brand of bottle/teat are you using? Maybe you need to change them too - some bottles/teats cause more wind than others.

Mum2Millie Tue 12-Jul-05 13:28:25

I am using the DR brown's bottles (can't imagine what she'd be like if I wasn't!) on the first level teat, I am just about to change the formula to Omneo Comfort so have ordered some variflow, perhaps that will help.

emmatmg Tue 12-Jul-05 13:44:43

I'll be no use here, Ds3 used to take over 1.5 hrs to feed sometimes.

I never really found out why........

starlover Tue 12-Jul-05 13:58:51

ds takes ages sometimes... he just likes to take his time!

wouldn't worry about it... i don't think there is a set time that babies should finish a bottle in!

mumfor1sttime Tue 12-Jul-05 14:21:36

My ds used to take ages when feeding when he was few weeks old. I changed to a fast flow teat. He is 6 months now and takes his feeds in a flash!

GillLevey Fri 15-Jul-05 13:14:28

DD (16 weeks) used to take 45 mins to an hour to feed from bottle. I got worried when the health visitor told me it should only take 20 minutes. We tried faster flow teats but the milk started pouring out of her mouth. We're not really sure why it took that long but she is a lot faster now.

Spoo Fri 15-Jul-05 13:36:24

I think it is the teat. The other signs are frustration during feeding and lack of air bubbles going into the bottle. Avent say you should change the teat every 6 weeks. Try a bigger holed teat. DS is on Avent number 4 at 5 months - not sure what I will do once he finds this too slow as there are no bigger sizes.

Seona1973 Sat 16-Jul-05 12:34:51

avent dont say to change the teat every 6 weeks. They say to replace the teats every 3 months for hygiene reasons (you may choose to stick with the same flow when you change or choose a faster one instead)

I have seen other posts about Dr Browns bottles and a lot of them say that the slow flow teats are too slow but the next size up are too fast. I have read of people slightly widening the hole on the slow flow with a hot needle to make them a bit faster flowing.

The age guides on the teats are just rough guides and some babies will need the faster flowing ones befoe they are 'supposed' to. You could always try them and if they are too fast, switch back - you will probably need faster ones at some point in the future anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now