Talk

Advanced search

anyone tried this form of sleep training?

(7 Posts)
Tipex Wed 06-Jul-05 19:28:21

In Mother and baby magazine this month theres a feature where a family do sleep training with their 7month old daughter. They basically put her down awake and let her settle herself but dont leave the room. She is left in the cot to cry but the parents sit with her so she knows they are there. Same thing goes on in the night. It worked in the feature. Sounds less harsh than controlled crying but not sure if it would work or if it would actually take longer or be harder in the long run. Anyone tried it?

emily05 Wed 06-Jul-05 19:30:21

I did this - It is similar to the method that the baby whisperer does. It is especially good for children who are attached to their parents or are used to being rocked to sleep. It is basically gradually withdrawing.
I used this method with ds and it worked a treat. He is now nearly 3 and a great sleeper.

ZoeC Wed 06-Jul-05 19:32:18

yes, this worked for my dd1 too - didn't know there was a name for it then, but I couldn't bring myself to leave the room to do cc.

Tipex Wed 06-Jul-05 19:34:21

can you tell me a bit more about it... do you basically just sit by the cot? are you allowed to pick them up at all? do you have to do it everytime they wake in the night?
Oh, and what age it is used from?

ZoeC Wed 06-Jul-05 19:38:47

oh, I was really a bit random - I would pick her up but once I realised she then immediately started to nod off i knocked that on the head and I'd just sit with her, maybe touch her or sssh that kind of thing, as unobtrusive as I could be but just so she knew I'd not abandoned her. If she calmed I'd try to leave the room and gradually pulled away like that. See how it goes and do what you feel at the time I'd say.

bobbybob Wed 06-Jul-05 19:53:47

Ds likes to be alone so this did not work for us, for the same reason he can't get to sleep at nursery. Also consider that a child that goes to sleep with a parent there could get freaked out when they awake to nobody there. My boy is older though - at 7 months I'm not sure they would remember.

ZoeC Wed 06-Jul-05 19:56:04

agree bobbybob - when dd1 would calm I left the room so she didn't actually fall asleep with me there, I just stayed until she was more settled. Took some repeating and not sure if it was the easiest way but it did work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now