Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sleep crisis at 3 months

(4 Posts)
Smilla Tue 05-Jul-05 14:28:00

Ds is 3.5 months old. He was gradually improving with his sleeping until 2 weeks ago. Back then he was consistently sleeping 6/7h without a feed (then waking 2 hourly). For the past 2 weeks his longest stretch has been 3/4h and then waking every 1/1.5h. I'm breastfeeding on demand and don't like the idea of leaving him to cry. Any advice?? I'm beginning to feel pretty shattered!

Tipex Tue 05-Jul-05 19:20:31

ooh smilla you could be me! DS is fully BF on demand and he started doing a lovely strecth from 7:30pm till 4-5am from about 7 weeks until 12 weeks. Then he started waking at 2am then added an 11pm feed also and before I knew it was every 3 hours day or night again. TBH hes now 20 weeks and hes only just starting to do the odd long stretch again and even then its only 4-5 hours on occasion. If I look back, I wish i'd perhaps tried to get him back to sleep without a breastfeed when he first started waking, maybe with the help of DH. I automatically used to offer him boob when he woke and naturally hed have a bit then drop off. Bad habit I think! Have you tried re settling him without a feed? It could be a growth spurt I guess but if he gets into the habit it'll be hard to break. How about trying to top him up well before he goes down for the night eg a feed at 5pm then a feed at 6pm then bed (or whatever time he goes down)

Good luck! sleep depriavtion is nasty isnt it?

ZoeC Tue 05-Jul-05 19:50:23

Ooh, same here. dd2 slept 7-1, then 7-2, then 7-3 a few times and even did 7-4 once around 9 weeks, then gradually brought it back to 7-1, now it's 7-11-3 and at the weekend she did 7-12-3-5-7.30 , all bf on demand. She's 16 weeks this week.

Came the closest I've come yet to trying formula at night but haven't yet. Just wish I had any idea if she'll ever start to improve again

I am now starting to try and disassociate feeding with sleeping a bit - daytime naps especially. When i go back to work I'll miss the 7pm feed so she'll have to rely on me less for comfort as i won't be available then.

Sorry that's no help.

Smilla Wed 06-Jul-05 10:50:56

Thanks for your messages-it's at least nice to know that I'm not the only one! Last night Ds slept 8-11pm and then until 2.50 after I'd given him a big feed. Then woke hourly but managed to pacify without a feed and he slept until 6.20! I think that I always just used to offer the breast to make sure that he'd go back to sleep but will try and get him to settle otherwise now. I've decided that I won't feed him less than 3 hourly. That's fair wnough isn't it??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now