Talk

Advanced search

Am I right to try and sit this out?

(9 Posts)
FlounceyFlossam Mon 04-Jul-05 23:03:14

Just in the past week DS has started playing up when put in his cot to go to sleep. Full on screaming. Last night I gave in and took him to my bed to lie with him and get him off to sleep. But I wont be doing him any favours long term will i? He's crying now, having just woken up, did not want milk. Took about an hour to settle earlier. Stops as soon as I pick him up but out and out screams when I turn my back to leave. I wonder if it is related to me going back to work and if I should be a bit softer with him? He's nearly 8 months.

gingernut Mon 04-Jul-05 23:08:09

May be separation anxiety? There is a system called pick up, put down (IIRC) which maybe would teach him that you are not leaving permanently and you will be back. How you deal with it depends on what you want...I personally would be quite hard because I wouldn't want him in bed with me, and I do like my sleep! But I think the pick up put down thing is a bit less hard than CC.

Do you think he may be teething though? You say he was awake an hour ago as well. If waking at this sort of time is unusual for him then I'd try some nurofen to see if he calms down after that.

gingernut Mon 04-Jul-05 23:09:17

sorry, just re-read and it wasn't an hour ago he was awake was it!

FlounceyFlossam Mon 04-Jul-05 23:12:44

Hi there GN! No he's not biting, think his teeth are ok right now. He was having a 'dream' feed up untill the weekend, but was still waking at 5 and DP didn't give it when I was out on sat, slept through the same without it so have decided to stop. Could be seperation actually, hadn't thought of that, bless him. Our local pub landlady (that sounds so bad dosen't it? Friendly pub across the road who does sunday lunch!) likes to have a cuddle and takes him for a walk around, but last week he started screaming, and alarm bells did ring. He was left for the first time with someone other than me or DP on saturday, as well as me being away all day for the first time on thurs, so I suppose in his little world it might be a worry.

gingernut Mon 04-Jul-05 23:21:26

Well, this is about the age it starts. Don't worry, like everything else, it's a phase, and entirely normal.

Must go, was intending to log off ages ago. Have been on hol and was suffering withdrawal symptoms.

FlounceyFlossam Mon 04-Jul-05 23:23:23

Post on our post natal groups to so I can catch up with you when you get the chance. x

gingernut Mon 04-Jul-05 23:26:32

Will do, am a bit snowed under at the mo though (we are off again tomorrow for a few days). Really MUST go and pack!

FlounceyFlossam Mon 04-Jul-05 23:31:04

A certain little someone is now on my lap. Not doing too well with this am i? Must have gone back and forth about 8 times. will let him off tonight, I know I know.

SenoraPostrophe Mon 04-Jul-05 23:35:22

pick up put down never worked for ds. I left him to scream in the end and it was painful, but it worked.

don't blame you for being soft though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: