Talk

Advanced search

Help needed with daytime naps

(14 Posts)
poppy101 Sun 03-Jul-05 13:42:02

Been roughly following GF routine, my ds is now 10 and half months old.

What sleeping pattern should he now been following for his daytime naps, seems to need a morning nap still, but wants it later than the 2hrs as GF advice, therefore his later lunch sleep is dragging. He normally has 45 min for morning nap and 2 hours for lunchtime, but for the last couple of days, it all seems to pot. I don't think he can go all morning without a nap, have tried 30 mins. today but he won't go down for lunchtime sleep, still awake in bed !!! what can I do ???

What is the normal sleep routine for this age ??

poppy101 Sun 03-Jul-05 13:48:47

Any one other any advice?

Fran1 Sun 03-Jul-05 13:52:47

You probably don't want to hear my advice, cos i say stuff GF.

Observe your child, realise when hes tired, and give naptimes then!
No child gets to read the textbooks whilst in the womb, so why should we expect them all to follow them?

QueenEagle Sun 03-Jul-05 13:55:04

I've never been a great fan of these books on matters such as sleeping and naps. I have always just put mine to sleep when they need it and they have developed their own routine naturally.

That said, I understand that some babies need to have their sleep patterns enforced, but I'm afraid I can't really offer much in the way of advice for that. Other than stick to whatever routine you feel you want to get into for several days and keep your fingers crossed that your baby gets the idea.

poppy101 Sun 03-Jul-05 13:56:22

I don't really know what to do with him now as he won't go down for a lunchtime sleep, he went down at 9.30am in his buggy while out for a walk and fell asleep for 40 minutes, but he hasn't slept since, and refuses to sleep, it isn't like him and I am currently leaving him in his cot hoping he will sleep a little now.

QueenEagle Sun 03-Jul-05 13:58:31

My ds4 gets into a nap routine and then suddenly one day will change completely. Truth is, you can't force a baby to sleep if they don't want to so I think it's probably a good idea to ditch the books, stop getting too worried if your baby isn't "textbook" and trust your own instincts on when you think your baby needs a sleep.

poppy101 Sun 03-Jul-05 13:59:54

Only thing I am concerned with is that he will be absolutely shattered by bedtime, he normally goes to bed at 6.30pm, and I just don't think he will last until then

QueenEagle Sun 03-Jul-05 14:00:46

How about going out in the buggy for a short walk again, see if he drops off for a little while?

poppy101 Sun 03-Jul-05 14:04:04

Will try this !!

GeorginaA Sun 03-Jul-05 14:24:13

poppy - we're a loose GF and ds2 is 14 months old now and still desperately needs a morning kip. We've gradually pushed back naps so that it's now: a strict 45 mins only at around 10am (sometimes earlier if he's showing tired signs) - the times we've let him sleep longer, it's really wrecked the whole day. Then 3 hours awake (so putting him down again around 1.45/2pm for as long as he wants - usually 1.5/2 hr nap. Though that said, I get twitchy if he's sleeping much past 4pm). That seems to work well with him still being happy to sleep at 7pm - and it fits in well with nursery run for ds1.

Does that help?

poppy101 Sun 03-Jul-05 14:29:42

What time does he wake in the mornings then ?

Just managed to give him his 2pm milk and wrapped him up and cuddled him and put him to bed, very sleepy!!

GeorginaA Sun 03-Jul-05 14:30:51

about 6.30/7am. Poor sod would like to sleep longer, I'm sure, but his brother bursts into his room dead on 7

poppy101 Sun 03-Jul-05 14:32:25

So you actualy wake him up at 4pm, if he isnt awake by then. What time you give him his tea ?? 5pm as GF mentions ??

GeorginaA Sun 03-Jul-05 14:39:27

Meals are a moveable feast in our house, because it so much depends on ds1 and what else is going on. We normally eat as a family around 5/5.30/6 depending on the day. If he's asleep at 4 I mainly just worry, sometimes I wake him, sometimes I don't ... depending on gut feeling and how much I'm enjoying the break

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now