Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How much sleep for a 16th month old?

(10 Posts)
josaucek Thu 30-Jun-05 13:52:41

My son is 16 months next week, and has until recently been doing 10-12 hours a night with 1 waking at 10ish, and 2 naps in the day of 1.5 hors each. Now, he will not go down for naps in the day without a huge fight!! Is one nap of 1 hour in the day okay for a 16 month old? Altogether between 11 and 12 hours a day ? It doesn't seem enough to me but he is fighting naps so much is doesn't seem worth it to make him upset. Can anyone else tell me their little one's sleep patterns at this age?
Thanks!

bee3 Thu 30-Jun-05 14:01:57

My ds (16 months) has been a fairly model Gina Ford baby as far as his naps are concerned. At the moment he goes down for one nap after his lunch, and usually sleeps about 2 hours (approx 12.30 to 2.30).
At night he generally sleeps 7pm - 7.30pm. If we've had an earlier waking due to colds or teething, or if he just seems more tired than usual I give him a snack late morning, and he then sleeps earlier from about 11.30 til 1.30 and then has lunch. He would be fine on just an hour, but would probably be getting v tired and grotty by bedtime. HTH

fastasleep Thu 30-Jun-05 14:03:46

Mine sleeps from 8pm till 7am, although sometimes until 8:30am if I'm lucky! He has about 2 and a half hours of naptime in the day, although these days he always gets very upset beforehand and we have a struggle to get him to lie down etc... but if he doesn't have it he gets very annoying!

DaddyCool Thu 30-Jun-05 14:17:08

wow, mine (now 24mths but has kept the same sleeping patterns for the last six months) only sleeps 9.5 to 10.5 hours at night with a 1.5 hour nap in the day. seems low eh.

TracyK Thu 30-Jun-05 14:24:29

Mine at 15 mo - (same routine for last 4 or 5 months tho). Up at 6, nap 1-3, bed 7.30.
I don't have to try for naps - he's alseep in the back seat of the car by the time we leave nursery. But on the weekends - when he's tired - he climbs up onto mine or dh lap and cuddles up for a snooze. Don't think he would wear the 'putting into cot for nap'.

saadia Thu 30-Jun-05 15:37:27

My ds, 15mths, wakes at around 7, 7.30, has a 1.5-2hr nap at around 10am, up at 12ish then has another nap at around 2ish, awake again around 4.30, and then sleeps any time between 7.30 and 9.

anchovies Thu 30-Jun-05 15:40:10

DS sleeps 7 til 7 with a 2 hour nap at lunch time. He's alway loved his bed, all you have to say is do you want to go and see teddy and he says "yes, yes, yes" and runs for the stairs!

tabitha Thu 30-Jun-05 15:45:26

My dd is 16 months. Her normal sleep pattern at home is: wake up about 7am; nap for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours round about midday (usually just after lunch but if she's really tired she'll sleep beforehand and have a late lunch); bed at around 7:30pm and (usually) sleep through till next morning.
However, when she's at nursery she never seems to sleep for more than an hour or so and boy do we suffer for it later on as she is so grumpy and 'over-tired' it's just not true.
However it's probably a very individual thing even at this age and if your ds's happy with just an hours sleep during the day then maybe that's all he needs.

bagpussmice Thu 30-Jun-05 20:15:03

all these babies that sleep alot - you are very lucky mum's (and Dad's!)...
My dd who is now 20 months has never slept more than 11 hours at night and only has 1 hour sometimes 1 hour 20 mins max. during the day! And that's been since she was really wee!
I guess they are all different in their needs for sleep!

weesaidie Thu 30-Jun-05 21:07:33

My dd, 15 months, sleeps about 11 hours a night and then naps once for an hour or two... it's been like that for a few months now... she seems happy with that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now