Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

panicky crying at 4am - 6am

(8 Posts)
vic891 Wed 29-Jun-05 12:46:46

hi all. for 4 nights running my 6 week old ds has slept pretty well 'til around 4 / 4:30 am (waking once for a feed around 2 am), then has woken up and grizzled/cried. a bit worried because it's a cry that i haven't heard before - he seems to be really unhappy. feeding/changing/winding/snuggling don't seem to help. wondered if anyone else has had this pattern? thought maybe he was struggling to pass wind or fill his nappy, but there hasn't been a noticeable pattern in terms of what has followed (i.e. a filled nappy!).

vic891 Wed 29-Jun-05 12:48:24

to clarify - he feeds at around 9pm or 10pm, then around 2am, then wakes at 4ish.

LIZS Wed 29-Jun-05 12:53:42

Could he be hot, disturbed by light or bird noise or just hungry ( 6 week growth spurt ?).

vic891 Wed 29-Jun-05 12:57:46

don't think it's hunger - a different cry, plus he continues to grizzle afterwards. pretty dark and quiet in our room, and he's been in just a sleepsuit - maybe with one sheet - so don't think it's heat either. thanks for the thoughts though - it's a bit of a puzzler...

Tipex Wed 29-Jun-05 17:16:39

do you wind him fully at the 2am feed or does he fall asleep feeding and you put him straight back down? I have to wind DS in the night or I get exactly the same problem 2hrs later.

jambot Wed 06-Jul-05 15:54:18

Any sign of reflux? My dd used to wake up at that time as the acid had built up in the night and was very uncomfortable for her. She's on medication for it now and there's no problem.

ediemay Wed 06-Jul-05 15:59:24

have you tried putting a little nightlight on? It used to help my DS. He slept next to us in a little crib and had a clip-on moon nightlight which used to soothe him.

lovinit Thu 07-Jul-05 05:09:02

Hi, my DD1 was exactly like that and sad to say it went on for months until I finally stopped BF ! She used to grizzle and not be able to stay asleep from 4 till the day started at 7am. I now have DD2 and am paranoid that the same will occur. I agree that bot properly burpig could cause it. Looking back though, I realise she was a very windy baby and colicky too . The doctor also said she had reflux, although I am sceptical abt the diagnosis.
If it is wind, try a warm bath and pressing onto his tummy to see if any wind is expelled. It is a trick I learnt recently and has worked on my 10 day old a few times.
Pls let me know how it goes ! My heart does go out tto you !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now