Talk

Advanced search

Sleep at lunchtime and Gina Ford

(12 Posts)
miabl2 Fri 24-Jun-05 12:46:17

Using the Gina Ford book which has been excellent, however having trouble with the lunchtime sleep now DB is 4.5 months old. Wakes after 30-40 mins and won't go back to sleep without my assistance. Anyone cracked this problem..he sleeps from 9.15 till 10 am, supposed to be 11.30-2 (never happens) and 20 mins in afternoon and 7pm-7am. I know I shouldn't complain but he needs the lunchtime nap as he's grumpy without it!!!

Gobbledigook Fri 24-Jun-05 12:47:38

Maybe cut right back on his 9.15 nap?

hermykne Fri 24-Jun-05 12:53:52

just give hi 20/25 mins at 9, and see if that helps
at 4.5 mths the REM factor still affects the pattern of the lunch time nap i think, ie after 40mins they either go into the deeper sleep or wake up. it will pass

miabl2 Fri 24-Jun-05 13:00:23

Thanks I'll try cutting the sleep tomorrow and let you know how it goes......

miabl2 Fri 24-Jun-05 13:00:36

Thanks I'll try cutting the sleep tomorrow and let you know how it goes......

futurity Fri 24-Jun-05 13:13:06

It will pass. My DS2 is also 4.5 months and in the last week has slept fine at each lunch time nap. I do give him a top up feed before the sleep but make sure he goes down awake. He is also having solids as he is a big boy but I think it has just come with age as we had weeks of 45 minute naps. My first son had the same thing and he to grew out of it at the same age. I did try cuting on the first nap but he just stayed tired and grumpy all morning and it made no difference.

Littlefish Fri 24-Jun-05 13:15:02

At 4.5 months I wasn't putting DD down until 12.00 and her morning nap was only half an hour so she was really tired by the time I put her down at lunchtime. She went through a phase of waking up after 45 mins regularly. I'm afraid I left her to cry (as long as she wasn't screaming) for about 10 - 15 mins to see if she would settle herself and she usually did. If she didn't settle, I would go in, stroke her face and tuck her in, but wouldn't pick her up. At 7 months she is now an excellent sleeper, and has her full 2 hours at lunchtime. I also introduced a soft cot toy for her to have. It seems to comfort her if she wakes up during a sleep. Does your baby have a comfort toy?

miabl2 Fri 24-Jun-05 13:25:14

No. Was unsure whether I could put stuff like that in the cot. It's my first baby. I'll try putting his fav toy in with him.

Littlefish Fri 24-Jun-05 13:59:57

As long as it's a safe toy - ie, no loose eyes etc! I give DD her toy when I put her in her cot, she falls asleep holding it sometimes. I can hear here sucking it if she wakes up. I have three different toys which I rotate so I can wash them! I'm also worried that I'd lose her favourite toy if she only had one, and then she might not sleep!

Corriewatcher Fri 24-Jun-05 21:04:06

I've been following Gina Ford too with 14 weeks old DS. Had same problems as you with waking after 45 mins for several weeks. But read somewhere that breastfed babies sometimes wake up during long naps cos of hunger so to give a small top up before putting them down. Did this, and it solved the problem. Now that I'm giving the mid-morning feed at 11 (which lasts until 1130), I don't find the top-up is needed when I put him down at 12.

sasa15 Fri 24-Jun-05 21:29:07

My ds used to be the same....they go into light sleep after 45 min.
I use to leave cry a bit and if he wouldn't settle, pick him up calm down and put down again...sometimes work...
otherwise I was giving up and later on after afternoon milk feed I use to take him out for a walk in the stroller....
and slept another 45 min. around 3.30pm and 4pm..

I always insisted to put him down straight after lunch...nad slowly adjust himself and since 2 months finally sleep 2 hours...and happy...

miabl2 Mon 27-Jun-05 21:26:58

managed to change his morning nap to 30 mins today and changed feed to 10.45 as I was feeding at 10. He slept from 12 till 1.45. Fantastic. Though I kind of missed him................

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now