Talk

Advanced search

Q about dummies

(9 Posts)
vic891 Sun 19-Jun-05 11:35:58

not sure where to post this...

wondered when i can stop sterilising dummies - just wash them instead. ds is nearly 5 wks.

Gobbledigook Sun 19-Jun-05 11:37:16

I'd still sterilise personally. I don't stop sterilising them till they are putting toys in their mouth and picking things up off the floor anyway. 5wks is still very little and probably still very susceptible to infection.

basketcase Sun 19-Jun-05 11:38:47

I sterilised mine for about five months or so. As soon as she could move around and was putting all sorts in her mouth, I stopped doing it as it seemed daft considering I didn’t sterilise my shoes/the sofa legs/her sisters toys etc.
Personally I would say 5 wks is still abit little and would keep doing it for a while longer but I am not an expert and if you are worried ask your HV next time you see him/her.

basketcase Sun 19-Jun-05 11:39:24

crossed posts agree with GDG

ghosty Sun 19-Jun-05 11:40:18

Agree, 5 weeks is still very young. I sterilised DD's dummies until she was about 5/6 months. In fact I started sterilising them again recently as she seems susceptible to tummy bugs.

vic891 Sun 19-Jun-05 11:43:31

thx ladies. i've also been relying on 'little finger' as a back-up sucky plan - is this OK (i do make sure my hands are clean, but i'm damned sure they're not sterile!).

bubblegumcheeks Sun 19-Jun-05 11:50:31

Hi all im a first time mom new on mums net also. My little girl is 12 weeks old and ive only steralised her dummy about 3 times if it falls on the floor I just let it run under the hot tap I figure without germs she will never get an immune system. My dad always said what doesnt kill cures.

vickiyumyum Sun 19-Jun-05 12:26:38

personnally i would still sterilise the dummies until i stopped sterilising their bottles.
my problem when ds1 was a baby was that even though he had a dummy he was breast fed and i didn't have a steriliser so i used to boil it in a pan of water for five minutes and then put it into its case.

jessicasmummy Sun 19-Jun-05 12:31:36

Jess's only got run under the hot tap, and sterilised about twice a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now