Talk

Advanced search

Is it usual for naps to shorten at 4months?

(6 Posts)
Tipex Sat 18-Jun-05 21:28:28

DS used to take naps of up to an hour and a half but now its 30mins max 3-4x daily. seems to have happened to a couple of babies from the same postnatal group as well. Is it something that happens alot at this age? and does it matter? he seems ok with it so I was just going to wait and see if the get longer again rather than try and 'tricks' to lengthen them.

popsycal Sat 18-Jun-05 21:31:38

i was thinking this...how long do you leave between naps?
ds2 can usually go about 2 hours...but now seems to be able to stay awake longer.....and hopefully that will make subsequent naps longer....

i am going to try it tomorrow...

Slave2Babe Sat 18-Jun-05 21:32:25

dd still changes daily ... some days she will only nap for 30 mins and other days we'll get up to 2 hours of peace!!

could it be the weather?

Tipex Mon 20-Jun-05 18:21:00

anyone else?

hana Mon 20-Jun-05 19:06:57

tipex, I was reading last night that some babies have lots of little naps (like your little one) , others might have longer naps but only have one or two during the day.
dd2 is nearly 6 months and she had 2 good naps a day of about 2 hours each, sometimes a bit longer

fruitful Mon 20-Jun-05 19:14:25

I tried all the tricks with dd and wore myself out. Don't think they worked. The only thing that possibly worked was leaving a de-tuned radio outside her room (white noise). Drove me nuts though. And, as they get older and more active they get more tired and sleep longer. That was 9mo for dd though - she suddenly started having 2 90 minute naps a day. Bliss!

Although - what happens when he wakes? I let ds yell for 5 minutes - if he is still yelling he's not going back to sleep. But quite often he does go back to sleep in that time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now