Talk

Advanced search

8 week old daytime sleeps

(3 Posts)
lysie Tue 10-Nov-09 10:50:15

Hullo,

Confused newbie mum here, my bf 8 week old fusses (occassionally wails) for about 15 - 20 mins before every daytime nap, and I shush/pat/jiggle him to sleep in the sling. Once he is asleep, he sleeps between 1 - 2 hours.

I usually try to settle him when he starts fussing; usually 60 - 90 mins after a feed. What I'm wondering is am I getting the timing wrong? Is he difficult to settle because I am leaving it too late and he is too tired to fall asleep easily?

We tend to follow a cycle. He gets a bit upset, I put him in the sling and jiggle/pat/shush, it doesn't work for about 10 mins, he gets more upset, i get a bit stressed, then around 15 mins he goes to sleep; its like he just switches off.

I wonder if there is something i can do to help him wind down and be calm in the period before sleep?

Also I have been avoiding using the boob in the daytime to help him sleep (he nurses to sleep at night although sometimes still needs a bit of additional soothing)because I want dh to be able to settle him too. Perhaps this is misguided and I should just let him nurse to sleep in the day?

I know 15 - 20 mins to settle isn't that long, and that loads of people have a tougher time, but I feel like I'm missing something...

IslandIsla Wed 11-Nov-09 11:27:29

This sounds pretty normal to me. When my DD was 8 weeks she either fussed/cried to sleep in my arms or she was BF to sleep. Sleeping for 1-2 hours sounds great as well!

You could try settling him before he starts fussing, as fussing is probably a sign he is getting overtired. But it takes time for baby to adjust to the world and for you to read baby so don't beat yourself up that you are 'missing something'. You're not - it is still really early days at 8 weeks.

lysie Wed 11-Nov-09 11:30:53

thanks, must stop over analysing everything and learn to go with the flow!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now