Talk

Advanced search

Im going to loose the plot with this child any minute now

(16 Posts)
girlylala0807 Sat 07-Nov-09 23:08:16

OMG!

Ds is 7 months old. Never slept through. Never been one for having a nap. Up every 1.5 to 2hourws every night.

Right now he is screaming in his cot cause have to shout otherwise.

Everytime he wakes up I feed him to keep him quiet. He wont settle. He has no routine.

I am going to go mad. Aarrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh

Any suggestions welcome

girlylala0807 Sat 07-Nov-09 23:30:07

YourCallIsImportant Sat 07-Nov-09 23:35:21

I know this doesn't work for everyone, but the Contented Little Baby book worked for me.

brimfull Sat 07-Nov-09 23:35:31

Is the feeding making him sleep?

Probably need to get him able to fall asleep by himself , afraid I did controlled crying and luckily mine used their thumbs to settle .

Not the solution atm but hang in there someone will have a brilliant idea.
<<awaits onslaught from others>>>

Mcdreamy Sat 07-Nov-09 23:36:26

Girly I am probably asking the obvious but sometimes when you are pulling your hair out the obvious is so obvious.

Could he be in pain? Have you got any calpol?

Could he be cold?

brimfull Sat 07-Nov-09 23:37:05

yup contentedbook worked for me as well

I wasn't as strict as her but followed a fairly strict routine.

YourCallIsImportant Sat 07-Nov-09 23:38:39

The other thing worth remembering is that he's not doing this to wind you up.

That's what I used to tell myself at 3am grin

He's either sleeping at the wrong times during the day or it's something else like being hungry, in pain etc.

girlylala0807 Sat 07-Nov-09 23:41:02

Thanks,

I fed him and he has gone back to sleep for now. I gave him calpol earlier as he is teething and he is nice and cosy with all his covers.

We have no routine really. My own fault. Its just getting hard now. There is only so much longer me and dh can muddle through.

Will have a look at that book in morning

girlylala0807 Sat 07-Nov-09 23:42:20

Sleeping in the day...

Not so much of that either. 30 minutes max 2 times a day if im lucky.

Mcdreamy Sat 07-Nov-09 23:43:50

It is sooooo hard! Being tired is the bit I don't do very well. I can take on the world but I have to have a nights sleep first.

It might be worth just noting down what happens in your DS's day tomorrow and trying to work out a routine for him from that. Good luck smile

gatheringstones Sat 07-Nov-09 23:44:54

i know exactly how you feel. it's just dreadful. so if he's used to being fed to get him to sleep then feed him if it'll get him to sleep. there is no magic cure which is going to work tonight - do whatever it takes and don't be hard on yourself. then, when you've had some rest (can dh help out tomorrow so you can get some kip?) formulate a plan to tackle the sleeping issue. i found a sleep counsellor (a brill health visitor, ask at your clinic) worked for me. nothing i hadn't read elsewhere but someone helped me see the wood for the trees and today dd2 is a great sleeper. good luck. i feel for you but it does get better.

gatheringstones Sat 07-Nov-09 23:48:34

i second mcdreamy. first thing i did for the counsellor was keep a log of sleeping/waking/feeding. with us it was a feeding issue rather than a sleeping issue. from the moment i reframed things around that fact things seemed clearer and i was able to tackle the problem (which was me!)

girlylala0807 Sat 07-Nov-09 23:51:09

Thank you all.

Going to bed now while I can. Will start a diary in morning.

littleblu Sun 08-Nov-09 00:02:31

Gina Ford worked for me, gave me something to focus on and gave me an idea of what my ds should be capable of. He didn't ever fit with her routines completely, but close enough. I was feeding him all the time and I think he had wind in hindsight (a midwife had told me you didn't need to wind breastfed babies!) so I think I was making it worse by feeding him when he cried.

It's a tough time, but it does pass, I know it seems like forever at the moment. Try to get some sleep, it makes the world seem a different place when you're well rested.

I remember trying lots of things in desperation (whether any of them made any difference I shall never really know!) from a ticking clock in his room to help him go to sleep, putting a hot water bottle in the cot before I put him down- so the mattress wasn't cold.... all suggestions from other people which kept me going!!

Mcdreamy Sun 08-Nov-09 10:17:50

How was last night girly? Did you get much sleep?

girlylala0807 Sun 08-Nov-09 11:27:16

Hi Mcdreamy.

Once I fed him he went back down about midnight till about 6 so that was an achievement.

He also slep from 7.45 to 8.45. Long may it continue but i will not get my hopes up!

Thanks for asking

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now