Talk

Advanced search

Can you use a grobag when toddler moves into a bed?

(8 Posts)
millingtonsmummy Thu 05-Nov-09 13:49:34

I'll be trialing DD1 in a bed soon as DC2 is on the way and my bump is getting in the way of getting her in and out of her cot! Question is do I need to rethink her bedding? She's always slept in a grobag which keeps her snuggly warm all night. I'm worried she'll wriggle free of blankets/duvet.

Any advice?

xx

Cakesandale Thu 05-Nov-09 13:54:48

Well we took our dd out of grobags as we did not want her to get out of bed and fall over and hit her head or worse.

The theory was never tested as she is one of those kids who thinks something will grab her if she sets foot out of bed - but they don't seem to get uncovered quite as much in a bed. Try one with sheets and blankets rather than a duvet, then you can tuck her in a bit and she won't throw everything off (fingers crossed emoticon)

mumcah Thu 05-Nov-09 13:58:19

If you've got a bit more time before the new baby comes maybe you could try your DD with a duvet but in the cot so she gets used to it first.Then it won't be too much in one go?I will be in the same situation so was thinking we might do this.

CatIsSleepy Thu 05-Nov-09 14:04:48

dd1 wanted to keep her grobag when she moved into a bed. It was fine-just a pain at night when she needed the loo. I think she carried on using it for a couple of months and refused the whole notion of a duvet until finally we threatened to give it away to one of her friends...then she came around to it pretty rapidly grin

ImSoNotTelling Thu 05-Nov-09 14:17:24

I would worry about them wriggling in the grobag and falling out of bed, and not being able right themselves/catch themselves etc.

Mine went into big bed with duvet and it doesn;t seem to come off etc.

ImSoNotTelling Thu 05-Nov-09 14:20:07

We got DD to choose a duvet cover and pillowcase (ITNG won surprise surprise) which eased the transition from the cot. We had no trouble with the bed, she loved it, and she has only got up in the night a couple of times.

sixfoldwaitingtime Thu 05-Nov-09 14:24:42

We did exactly this - but have a v low IKEA child's bed, so falling out isn't a problem (it also has sides).

It was a good way of making the transition - esp as DD is so wriggly; we still sometimes find her the wrong way up in the mornings.

We're going to make the move soon (after about 3 months or so) but will probably put the duvet crossways so that we can tuck it in.

But there are also intermediate things - duvets which tuck in, or even duvet sized bags (although my friend got hers from France, so don't know if they're available over here).

iwantitnow Thu 05-Nov-09 18:45:38

We got the grobag duvet - expensive but DD has only fallen out of bed once. It took her a few months to realise she could get of bed first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now