Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok to put DD in a swing

(8 Posts)
Iamamumma Sun 01-Nov-09 20:55:08

Sorry first time Mum question. DD is 5.5 weeks and is lovely all day and sleeps well at night, but from around 5pm onwards every evening she is restless, cries and wriggles. She tends to nap a lot in the mornings and is bright as a button from around 2pm onwards, will only nap for around 40 mins around 4pm or so, then is up till 10-11pm! I think she cries because she is so very tired. We have tried putting her in her moses basket or in her crib, but she just cries and cries. We pick her up and put her down and this goes on all evening. She is only happy when we put her in her fisher price swing, she sits there quite happily looking around and falls asleep in it. We don't leave her in there for long stretches, but it is great so DH and I can eat dinner together. Is it ok to put her in the swing in the evenings?

greensnail Sun 01-Nov-09 20:58:00

Sounds great, if its working I would keep doing it smile

GhoulsAreLoud Sun 01-Nov-09 21:03:15

I put my DD in a fisher price swing in the evenings too and it was fabulous. Absolutely vital to be able to eat without holding her.

GhoulsAreLoud Sun 01-Nov-09 21:04:00

(vital to my sanity! - gave my nipples a rest too as she wouldn't take a dummy but wouldn't settle without being fed)

NorktasticNinja Sun 01-Nov-09 21:08:46

It's a similar position to in a car seat isn't it? If so she's ok in it for up to 1 1/2 hours.

Being able to eat in peace is one of those small things that keep you sane in those first weeks. I'm glad you've found something that works for her smile

This too will pass.

Iamamumma Mon 02-Nov-09 07:05:25

Thanks ladies, would have cried myself if you had said that it was bad for her spine! Is so hard when you haven't a clue what you are doing. The things I worry about now. I hear it gets worse! shock

NorktasticNinja Mon 02-Nov-09 13:49:08

Iamamumma - it's all a phase, you'll get through it smile

Have you tried swaddling her? Some babies really don't like it, but for others it can be very helpful. DD was having none of it but DS has responded really well.

Swaddling, shhhhhing (or white noise), patting and rocking are a great combination and will make most babies sleep.

Iklboo Mon 02-Nov-09 13:51:06

A wind up swing saved our sanity when DS was tiny smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now