Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I don't think i can do it

(19 Posts)
Slave2Babe Wed 15-Jun-05 18:36:59

DD was really tired in the car coming home so i gave her a quick bath and put her down to sleep.

She has been screaming ever since. Trying to be strong but i dont think i can do this sleep training thing. I have been up every 2 minutes and now making it every 5 minutes but i cant bear it.

I know if i were to give her another b/f she would go straight to sleep ...

Its making me cry listening to her up there .

hercules Wed 15-Jun-05 18:37:21

How old is she?

Twiglett Wed 15-Jun-05 18:38:12

if she's under a year then personally I'd b/f her

beansprout Wed 15-Jun-05 18:39:02

S2B - our babies are the same age and I feed ds to sleep. It's ok if you need to do that.

MrsDoolittle Wed 15-Jun-05 18:39:16

Why are you torturing yourself?

cod Wed 15-Jun-05 18:41:48

Message withdrawn

Slave2Babe Wed 15-Jun-05 18:49:22

in total i only lasted about 10 minutes!

i felt so bad i gave her a cuddle and a feed and she is out like a light

Lonelymum Wed 15-Jun-05 18:49:55

Why is that so terrible a thing to have done?

jessicasmummy Wed 15-Jun-05 18:50:49

how old is she?!

i wouldnt worry, its still early days.

I still give dd a bottle before bed time and she is nearly 11 months.... where's the harm?

MrsDoolittle Wed 15-Jun-05 18:50:54

Now you both feel better

What's the problem anyway?

Slave2Babe Wed 15-Jun-05 18:53:29

i guess its all the stuff about getting them to learn to sleep on their own ... MIL was giving me grief about it, and i then had the know-it-all mum at the toddler group today rolling her eyes at me ...

hercules Wed 15-Jun-05 18:54:08

Ignore other people. Do what you feel happy with. It's not a race.

beansprout Wed 15-Jun-05 18:55:11

S2B - I know there are a lot of messages out there about how we are creating terrible rods for our own backs if you can't train your baby to just be plonked in their cot and fall asleep without you but they really do need us a lot of the time. Personally, I don't want to train my son to know that I won't come when he needs me. I am just going to feed him to sleep for now and look at other options when it becomes an impossible problem.

Please enjoy your baby and don't give yourself a hard time, you are doing brilliantly!

Slave2Babe Wed 15-Jun-05 18:58:00

awww thank you ... i feel a bit pathetic!

i've done a few half hearted attempts to get her to sleep on her own but i always give up and just snuggle up with her ...

she is such a happy little girl i hate to see her getting worked up and confused

morningpaper Wed 15-Jun-05 19:09:45

Slave2babe I think you have some good advice here. Follow your heart. She won't be a baby forever. Just take the easiest path for you. Every week/month will be different. You won't be feeding her to sleep when she's 15. xx

cod Wed 15-Jun-05 20:25:02

Message withdrawn

Pruni Wed 15-Jun-05 20:39:13

Message withdrawn

MrsDoolittle Thu 16-Jun-05 10:42:22

I feel like that too Pruni. I always fed dd to sleep, that way we were both happy. I feel that if she's happy, she'll be secure and confident to go to sleep on her own in her own time. It's a very gradual process and only you know what is right.
You must trust your instincts.

highlander Fri 17-Jun-05 00:36:06

I'm with you Pruni. DS is 9mo and there is sooooo much pressure to get your baby to 'slef-soothe', that you feel like a bad mother if you're feeding your sprog to sleep. I don't give a shit anymore. He's BF to sleep and it's a lovely time for us both. He's starting to show an interest in getting himself off to sleep and this time next year I guess he will be doing it. They're only little for a tiny period - make the most of it!!

As one vey wise MNer once said - you don't try toilet training at 5 months old do you? You wait until your child is ready. Self-soothing is the same. Wait - it's less painful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now