Talk

Advanced search

Still having problems with the sleep/standing in cot

(12 Posts)
Janey2209 Tue 27-Oct-09 09:18:14

I am still having problems getting my son to sleep, it seems he wont go off by himself, I noticed he was tired so I put him down for his morning nap. He is still awake now and sounds as if he is just about to start crying. I had tried to get him to sleep for about twenty mins by rubbing his belly and playing a lulaby from one of his toys...until i decided to try and leave him to play and fall alseep...I am sure he will be standing up when i go back in...I have thought it may be time to use the gradual retreat or controlled crying approach to this problem but I am affraid to try this as i think it will mess up my babys routine, (although i often find it hard to get him to sleep we do have a basic routine going) I don't want to ruin this routine and feel that i wont be able to fight as long as he can, yesterday i tried to use the gradual retreat method and he must of stood back up again 50 times in the space of 10 minutes..he just would not go to sleep! He is screaming now too! I cant keep standing by the side of the cot everytime i want him to go to sleep it gets tiring! please help!

juuule Tue 27-Oct-09 09:21:16

Carry him around until he nods off then put him down to sleep?

Will he sleep in his pushchair? Why not put him in, take him for a walk and if he's tired he might nod off.

Janey2209 Tue 27-Oct-09 09:56:54

He probably would go to sleep if I did something like that, the only problem is that I am worried because I have read he needs to learn to fall to sleep by himself without the help of rocking or being taken out in his push chair. I am worried that he will never learn to fall asleep by himself. I dont want to end up having to take him out in a pushchair to nap when he is 2 and 3 and so on thankyou for the idea though!

juuule Tue 27-Oct-09 10:12:58

How old is he?

Try not to worry about things too far ahead. Deal with what is happening now. If he will sleep in his pushchair then that's fine. Sleep for him and a bit of time for you. You both win.
Things change with time and then you find ways to deal with them. For now do what's best for both of you at this time.

Janey2209 Tue 27-Oct-09 10:29:22

Ok I will give it a go. Sometimes the problem just gets so stressful it seems like see what to do! thankyou! x

nosferartifartu Tue 27-Oct-09 10:50:20

How old is he Janey? And is it happening every nap/bedtime or just morning? (he could be ready to drop a nap or nap a bit later)

My DS has been through several of these standing phases (when he learned to crawl, pull up and now he is taking his first steps!) They don't last forever. I just make sure he is very tired when I put him down and then gently lie him back down each time he pops up. He's usually fast asleep in 10 mins or so. I know what you mean about it being stressful though - and boring (sometimes I read a book at the same time. blush)

Janey2209 Tue 27-Oct-09 11:33:36

He is nearly 10 months, It just seems like it has been going on for ever! it doesnt happen as bad every nap time as it did this morning. I was tired too so it just gets to me after awhile. I could try reading a book next time I have thought about it before but I often have to keep my hand on his tummy to stop him from climbing up.... I cant just sit by his cot really because he will climb up all the time I have to literally hold him down! can you leave the room without your son standing up? hmm

nosferartifartu Tue 27-Oct-09 12:39:27

He's been in this current phase for about three weeks but it seems to be getting better. At first I couldn't leave the cotside and the worst was 1 hour of lying him back down! I now leave the room and sit on the stairs outside - he burbles for a while and then usually gets up and starts crying. I've just put him down for a nap and only had to go back in three times, he was asleep in about five minutes. I think he's more reassured now that I am about if he wants me, so is happier to chat to himself for a while. (There's a lot going on with him at the moment - walking, teething, dropped the morning nap and I stopped breastfeeding a few weeks ago).

There have been times when I have had to hold him down so you have my sympathy. He might be getting ready to drop the morning nap or perhaps you could push it later so that he's really tired?

Janey2209 Tue 27-Oct-09 12:45:17

I have tried putting him down when he is really tired but if im not careful he gets over tired and then its harder! I will just have to carry on and wait and see, it will get easier, he is learning alot too he is always standing up against anything he can! things should calm down when he starts to walk i think. I will try to gradually sit outside the room like you do to see if that helps but it will probably take a couple of hours first! thanks for your advice! =)

Janey2209 Tue 27-Oct-09 12:46:35

I forgot to say but I think the standing phase has been going on for a month or two! shock

nosferartifartu Tue 27-Oct-09 13:10:09

That's a long time, poor you! Just be consistent and as boring as possible - each time you lie him back down, move another little step away. My DS thought it was a hilarious game for a few days and would then thrown himself back down before I got to him hmm but he did tire of it.

And as Juuule says, if you can't face it just go out for a walk with him in the pushchair - when it got bad I used to push him to the park and then read a book while he snoozed. Or a cafe if it was too chilly. You have to give yourself a break sometimes from these phases!

juuule Tue 27-Oct-09 13:14:25

I'd just walk far enough for them to fall asleep and then park them either outside at the back of the house or inside (depending on how I felt, whether the other children were playing inside or outside and might wake him/her up). Then I'd either get something done or take a bit of time-out myself.
You don't have to stay out if you take them for a walk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now