Talk

Advanced search

Co-Sleepers please advise...

(9 Posts)
turtle23 Tue 27-Oct-09 08:04:38

What started out of necessity (breakdown of relationship with DH...easier to sleep in baby's room) is now a lovely co-sleeping habit for me and DS (19 months.) DS seems to love being with Mummy as much as I love being with him...nothing nicer than when I get into bed and he immediately snuggles in and starts snoring.
DS2 is due in 3 1/2 weeks, DH has now moved out, and I'm just wondering whether I'll be able to cope with having both boys in with me. Has anyone done this? I can't imagine moving DS into his own room, but at the same time can't imagine trying to feed every two hours or so with a wriggly toddler in bed with me.
Tell me it works?

Frrrightattendant Tue 27-Oct-09 08:07:02

Sorry not stalking you, am just waiting while ISP check my broadband fault!

Yes, had both in with me for a year or two after ds2 was born, ds1 is 4 years older and it did start to get too crowded then so got him to go in his own room finally (tired enough to sleep easily having started school!)

It was Ok with both of them, think better if age gap is smaller like yours.

HTH

turtle23 Tue 27-Oct-09 08:38:36

FA- You seem to be my only friend at the moment!! lol
Can I just ask...did DC2 not wake DC1 at all?

Tambajam Tue 27-Oct-09 08:53:01

I did a sibling and newborn. I had a safety rail on the outside (no gaps), then newborn, then me, then DS (just 3). It worked brilliantly. I always kept in the middle and mastered the art of feeding from either breast with baby on that side. Our sleep cycles got in sync pretty quickly.
I would respond to early cues and older brother was not woken much at all to my memory. I think I took DD out of the room to walk around once.
When DS got older I would start him in his own room and put him to bed (DD in sling). When he woke I told him he was welcome to come into 'big bed' and he trundled along and climbed in (less and less). He's now 5 and still sometimes comes in to DD's room. She is now 23 months and on a kingsize mattress on the floor in her room and I sleep there with her. We sometimes wake up to find DS next to us. It's really been pretty easy TBH (apologies for smugness).

Frrrightattendant Tue 27-Oct-09 09:14:45

lol, you have plenty of mates on here wink

they are just all asleep or out doing 'fun' half term activities...

yes, initially ds1 was disturbed by ds2, who rarely, rarely cried but in bed he would snuffle about and sometimes mutter a bit, and wriggle...however after the first few nights ds1 got used to it very quickly. He was just a bit unsettled by sudden baby invasion iyswim.

I think it is prob the best way to do it in your situation - sudden chucking out of previous tenant is not advisable as he might resent the baby because if it taking his place, so deffo give it a while before you tactfully displace him.

Also he may be unsettled by H leaving as well, not a great time to remove bed privileges as it were!

Just mho smile

JulesJules Tue 27-Oct-09 09:19:29

I did it with both - 28m age gap. Fine if a bit cramped - but lovely and warm in the winter months grin.

turtle23 Tue 27-Oct-09 10:35:57

Thanks all...I know I'd end up doing it anyway as it's just much nicer...just needed to hear it would be ok.

foxytocin Tue 27-Oct-09 12:13:45

i've done almost the same as Tambajam describes. it will be fine. enjoy. + 96+m9+oooo

eggontoast Tue 27-Oct-09 12:22:28

From a safety view point, I have read that co-sleeping with a toddler and younger child can pose increased risk. I would research safe co-sleeping on line.

When I co-sleep with my two, 1st 3yrs, 2nd due in 3 weeks, I will keep the toddler behind me at all times and I will face the youngest to ensure the toddler does not roll onto the newborn as toddler moves whereas I am perfectly still.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now