Talk

Advanced search

what age does risk of suffocation end

(7 Posts)
alipeepee Mon 26-Oct-09 09:14:08

I've tried googling this but can't find anything. Can someone please tell me when there is no longer a danger of suffocation in your bed with pillows etc. My 11 month old is the worlds worst sleeper and by the tenth time is in my bed usually propped up on a pillow and cuddling me. He's very physically able and is nearly walking etc so I'm just wondering if I can stop being paranoid every night! ta

bigbumhel Mon 26-Oct-09 12:19:26

I don't know about in your bed but when they are in their own cot it isn't recomended you give them a pillow to sleep on until they are capable of rolling over on their own and strong enough to. I didn't give either my daughters pillows until they were 13 months old and I was sure they were able to. So I think i would still be a little uneasy if I were you and may-be try and tackle the fact that he should be in his own bed. You need to be strong and not give-in to him, it might take some hard work/hard love on your part but I think it will be the best route to a good nights sleep in the long run!!!

Seona1973 Mon 26-Oct-09 12:22:37

pillows, duvets, etc are ok from 1 year so if your lo is 11 months I am sure he will be fine with them

whichwitchisthis Mon 26-Oct-09 12:38:15

ds is 13 months and I've just given him a duvet and a pillow in his cot and he's been fine, infact he seems much happier with the duvet as the sheets always seemed to end up tangled round his legs no matter how much I tucked them in!

eggontoast Mon 26-Oct-09 13:32:45

I am not sure there is a magic age that the risk goes away; if I were you, I would research 'safe co-sleeping' on the internet.

The Science of Parenting by Margot Sunderland helped me in my quest to ensure I kept both mum and baby happy whilst as safe as possible and really put my mind at ease.

Just a quick thought, have you tried putting the pillows directly onto the mattress then putting the bed sheet over the top and tucking it in so they are there, but cannot possibly go over baby?? Or, you could sew the pillow cases to the sheet so they cannot move about? (I'm going to do this for my next one if they want to co-sleep now I have though of it!! I did without a pillow until I thought it was safe to re introduce around the one year point with my first)

My first child co slept from an early age, much earlier than I would have liked, due to him wanting excessive night feeds that I could not keep up with. My second, on the way, I hope will sleep better, but if not, I would co sleep again (though my hubby wants to wait till they are a year old, and I do agree but dont know if it will be possible!).

I feel, that if I make things as safe as possible, the risk is outweighed by the benefit. Where you add the risk of suffocation, you reduce the risk of cot death.

My husband WANTS our second child to join us in our family bed from one year old as we have enjoyed and still enjoy co sleeping with our first, who is now three, so much!! It feels so much safer once they are over one year old. I have many precious beautiful memories stemming from co sleeping, there is nothing more amazing than looking into your two year old's eyes, them kissing you and then nodding off peacefully with their arms around you neck!! Much nicer than tantrums and cries if they dont like to be alone in bed.(not for everyone, but certainly for us!!!)

alipeepee Tue 27-Oct-09 09:34:03

thank you everyone. Well for some strange reason he worked it out and slept the whole night last night - first time in months. I slept with my first all the time with both our heads on a pillow and never worried but this time around there's been so much stuff in the news that I'm suddenly panicking. The fact that he can roll, stand, sit etc all on his own I'm sure means that he'd put up a fairly good fight if he got stuck somewhere. Anyway, here's hoping last night was a sign of things to come!

Hulla Tue 27-Oct-09 18:36:30

I have seen something by the people who make grobags which is like a duvet-sleeping-bag and fixed pillow.

here it is

It says from 2.5yrs but you get the idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now