Talk

Advanced search

Waking up at night and standing up in cot instead of going back to sleep!

(4 Posts)
Janey2209 Tue 20-Oct-09 12:58:27

My son usually wakes once or twice a night, and when he does he immediatley stands up in his cot and crys for me or his dad. I have read that it is normal for babies to wake in the night and settle back to sleep by themselves but my little one doesn't seem to do this, and there is not much chance he will settle back to sleep once he is standing up awake! I have also read that babies need to be able to settle themselves back to sleep and am worried he wont be able to learn to go back to sleep by himself if he persists standing at night...I have heard the standing thing is also a phase and it will stop but it seems to have been going on forever! I used to feed him to sleep but now mostly i settle him in his bed and rub his tummy until he falls to sleep, I cannot leave the room until he is asleep, because he will stand. Im also worried that by staying in the room rubbing his tummy will leave him unable to go to sleep without me there, I cant leave the side of his cot at all because he will stand straight away regardless of how tired he is. Any ideas?

Drooper Tue 20-Oct-09 21:03:28

How old is he? This sounds really tiring, poor you!
Does he need you to rub his tummy in the night when he wakes? If not and this gets him to sleep quickly, you could just carry on.
I think I wouldn't worry about the standing. Am fairly certain he will lie down eventually.
Depending on your parenting style grin you could do controlled crying or gradual retreat to help him learn to fall asleep on his own.

This site has some good tips

www.cry-sis.org.uk/sleep.html

Janey2209 Thu 22-Oct-09 12:03:47

Hi, he is 9 months, he can go to sleep without the belly rubbing, he did do it last night after a few attempts of lying him back down and walking away from the cot, eventually he just stayed lying down and went back to sleep, so i think i will carry on with that! It takes awhile but if i am persistant with it i think he will just settle alone eventually, i will keep it up! thankyou for the information!

Drooper Thu 22-Oct-09 18:17:40

Good news smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now