Talk

Advanced search

Saturday night hell

(16 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Sun 18-Oct-09 07:12:50

Last night was awful, DS (2y6m) woke up about 2 - just as I'd got DD to sleep - and refused to go back to bed. Tantrums, screams, "I want mummy/daddy". We just kept putting him back & telling him to stay there.
Does anyone have any idea of what's going on & what we could do differently?
Also, last Saturday was the same - how?? Make an effort to wear him out in fresh air, played lots, ate lots, i don't get it!!

belgo Sun 18-Oct-09 07:24:21

How old is your dd? I think she's still a newborn?

Is your ds being disturbed by his sister crying? Can one of you stay in with your ds when he wakes up?

I had a few nights like this last week, just absolutely no sleep the whole night. Can you rest today?

girlsyearapart Sun 18-Oct-09 07:25:54

Rah to those Saturday night kids.

Don't they realise it's the weekend??

Last night dd1 (2.1) woke up at 11pm seemingly nothing wrong.
Standing in cot shouting MUUUMMMYYY at the top of her voice.

Woke again 6 times until about 4am when I got cross, switched her light onto dimmer put books in her cot and said she wasn't allowed to wake me up anymore.

Don't know if she slept at all during the 11-4 period I didn't much.

Dd2 (13 mo) woke at 540 and is still up but dd1 is sleeping. This will be a relay effect all day now I imagine..

Have no idea why it's different at weekend?

Does your ds go to nursery in the week?

How's baby by the way? smile

StealthPolarBear Sun 18-Oct-09 07:36:56

Yes, she's 4 weeks old. She woke him up the night before last so last night I changed her nappy on our bed and just replaced it - she didn't make a peep Even so, he wakes every night, but most nights can be comforted and then told to go to sleep - tends to be Saturday nights when he tantrums and is a nightmare. If we stay with him he wakes the minute we leave the room no matter how long we leave it - whereas like I said normally I can say "I'm going to change the baby's nappy now, go to sleep" and he's fine.
DH started off (when DD was newborn) letting DS come in with him, but we want to stop that - maybe we'll have to start again, you're right.
Meant to say, don't think it's a nightmare or whatever, he's had a few of those, one at midnight last night, can tell he's really upset and shaking, but will be comforted and go back to sleep!
Hope your nights get better belgo - I don't think mine was quite that bad!
gya, does the books thing work? When DS is like this it's like he's obsessed with coming into our bed, refuses to be distracted or reasoned with!

belgo Sun 18-Oct-09 07:49:07

I think he is probably reacting to the birth of his new baby sister, and all the routine changes that a new baby brings. And of course at the weekend the routine is different again.

It will get better, you just have to get through this awkward stage.

girlsyearapart Sun 18-Oct-09 08:11:05

Yes the books thing does work though has a lot of negotiation involved with it..

Last night she cried at bedtime until I went back in to her- she was crying because she wanted 'Each peach pear plum' in her bed.

Worth a try though. Is he in a bed or a cot?

Neither of ours have ever been any good at sleeping in our bed. They occasionally come in but never go to sleep.

Another thought- do you put him to bed every night except Saturday? Don't know what your DH does but maybe he's not there at bedtime in the week much?? <straw-clutching now>

StealthPolarBear Sun 18-Oct-09 08:43:01

He does go to nursery Thursday and Friday and you're right that that must be the difference - and then by Sunday night he's accustomed to it.
DH shouldn't be working next weekend so we'll make a huge effort to tire him out on the Saturday.
belgo, you're right that this is DD related - for about a month or 6 weeks before she was born he was sleepng through for the first time ever (those were the days ) possibly apart from a night or two each week (Saturdays??) and they were never too bad. I can understand he'll be unsettled, but just want the tantrums to stop!

StealthPolarBear Mon 19-Oct-09 10:37:44

well in a break with routine he did it again last night
not quite as bad, and in a way i feel better as we now have something to work through.
Just thought - dd quite often ends up in my bed (starts in basket) I bet that's confusing him too

girlsyearapart Mon 19-Oct-09 21:02:37

oh dear.. need to change thread title in that case!
DH came in drunk and woke the dds up with his general buffooning about and couldn't settle dd2 til 1130 angry who woke for the day at 550.

Have run away to sleep at my Dads tonight though.
Fingers crossed your night is better.

StealthPolarBear Tue 20-Oct-09 13:07:30

brief wake at 11.30...then nothing until 6.10!
First thing he said was "I stay in bed" so it seems like the message is getting through.
then demanded chocolate button blush

StealthPolarBear Tue 20-Oct-09 13:09:17

hope you had a good night without the DCs and your DH was hungover!

girlsyearapart Wed 21-Oct-09 08:00:15

yeah still didn't sleep as have now got kidney infection.
grr best laid plans..
Glad your night was better.
Last night I had a hysterical wake up around 1030 from dd1- think because I switched the light off in her room when she fell asleep.

Then about 40 mins with dd2 at about 3 am.

Then both woke at 7 ish.

At least dd2 gave DH a bad night when I was away. [evil wife emotcion] smile

StealthPolarBear Wed 21-Oct-09 11:02:29

hope you're better soon
Well last night was a bit of a regression Although he did wait until 4 to scream and it was nowhere near as bad as saturday. Then an hour and a half later when it was getting up time he happily announced he'd slept all night hmm

girlsyearapart Wed 21-Oct-09 11:42:37

They always get you just when you thought the sleep thing was sorted.. Grr. angrygrin

StealthPolarBear Thu 22-Oct-09 07:35:15

going to get the title of this changed to just 'night hell'!

girlsyearapart Fri 23-Oct-09 07:13:57

haha. We haven't been too bad the past couple of nights. You?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now