Talk

Advanced search

How many layers does your baby wear under a sleeping bag?

(11 Posts)
EightiesChick Sun 18-Oct-09 00:57:35

Have been putting DS into his grobag in just his vest but I have been thinking he needs more, certainly now it's cooler. DH is a hardy soul who feels the cold less than I do, whereas I am a three-cardigans type, so he thinks one layer is fine. Sometimes he's has cold arms when he wakes in the night, but then again I know overheating them is bad. Today read in magazine it should be vest + babygrow, then sleeping bag. What does everyone else do?

TheDevilsKnickers0nMaHead Sun 18-Oct-09 01:01:06

In summer, Just a vest under.

In winter, a vest and sleepsuit/pjs.

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Sun 18-Oct-09 01:01:12

DS is in a 1.0 tog grobag in just long-sleeved PJ's. On the other hand, a friends DS is in LS vest, sleepsuit, 2.5 grobag + duvet.

Depends on the sprog..

How old is he?

EightiesChick Sun 18-Oct-09 01:02:47

9 months, and it's a 2.5 tog bag. The room is not that warm IMO either.

TheIggorcist Sun 18-Oct-09 01:05:26

Hi there, did your grobag not have instructions about this? Based on the room temp and the grobag tog - it says things like "shortsleeved vest", "long sleeved vest" or "pyjama top and bottoms" with different temps next to it. Try the grobag website, it might help. Mostly I used a long sleeved vest (only used short sleeved ones in height of summer) but then again I've no idea how hot your room is! Here's a link to the page on the grobag site that should answer your question (hopefully) www.gro.co.uk/EC7E80242F3F407EBF33573B114D8073.aspx#EEC33A9FE3AC407CADF9BF76D6578B43

EightiesChick Sun 18-Oct-09 01:17:51

Thanks for the replies and the link. I have no idea where the thermometer is! Bought from bump to 3, I think, so would they still have sent one out or would you only get them buying direct from Grobag? More likely I have just lost it blush I will have to search but seems more like the weather merits another layer. He is in a long sleeved PJ top tonight plus vest. Didn't put PJ bottoms on as assumed the bag would warm his lower half enough.

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Sun 18-Oct-09 01:18:47

OP - personally I would put him in a SS vest and a sleepsuit, plus grobag. When it gets colder switch to LS vests.

He's old enough that he'll let you know if he's too hot/cold For the first couple of nights just check regularly, he'll be fine

TheIggorcist Sun 18-Oct-09 01:39:42

You must (IMO) get a thermometer though, how else can you really tell? Any room thermometer would do, try mothercare or argos even. They come in the grobag packaging, I've had about 7 to date!

TheDevilsKnickers0nMaHead Sun 18-Oct-09 01:51:16

I don't think a thermometer is a must tbh. He is old enough to let you know if he is too hot/cold and you can just put your hand on his chest/back/forehead if not.

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Sun 18-Oct-09 01:58:03

you don't need a thermometor,

If his arms and forehead are cold when you do to bed then he needs more layers.

We put a blanket over DS when we go to bed, this councides with the heating going off.

Don't worry... you'll figure it out in no time

EightiesChick Mon 19-Oct-09 00:41:11

Have now got a gro egg thermometer from a friend - this was promised a while ago but I've only just got it. Says just 16 degrees in the nursery so am right to use PJs plus a vest. Will see how that does him. Thanks again. It is fricking freezing now, I think, and have turned the heating up today! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now