Talk

Advanced search

Can small children suffer from insomnia? Or am I just a really crap parent??

(5 Posts)
SCARYspicemonster Sat 17-Oct-09 11:57:25

My DS is 2 1/2 and last night woke up just before 2am. I tried to keep him quiet and get him to go back to sleep until about 4am then at 5am I let him play in his room - he didn't want to sleep, he wanted his toys but he didn't want to be on his own. At 6am I put cbeebies on in my bedroom in the hope that he'd doze off while I lay in the bed but he was playing and running around. He eventually fell asleep on the floor (on a pillow!) at about 7.30am.

This is the worst night we've ever had but waking up and being wide awake and wanting to play for hours is by no means unusual.

Anyone else had this? Any tips???? Please!

4kidsandcounting Sat 17-Oct-09 12:30:59

We had this with our first son so know how you feel.All i can suggest is that you be tough with him and keep putting your son back into his bed everytime he gets up.My son was always waken up and wanting to play and i allowed this at first but eventually i got so fed up with not getting any sleep that i had to put my foot down.Everytime he woke up and got out of bed we would put him back in his bed give him a kiss then we would leave the room.The first night was murder i swear i must of put him back to bed about 15 times i was so tired but after about a week of the same routine our son eventually realised not to bother getting up as he would be put back to bed anyway.Sounds a bit mean but give it ago after all you need your sleep as does your son.Good luck

SCARYspicemonster Sat 17-Oct-09 12:40:21

Thanks 4kids, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one. We cosleep which exacerbates the situation. He did go into his room and start playing quietly for a bit but then I realised the baby monitor was turned off and I was worried I wouldn't hear him when he woke this morning so I had to go in. I think you're right though - I just have to keep on saying it's time for sleep and if he doesn't want to sleep, he can play in his bedroom but he is not staying in my room.

I feel dreadful today - luckily I have nothing major planned!

4kidsandcounting Sat 17-Oct-09 12:49:30

Well fingers crossed that will help a bit.Im so tired to my 15 week old not sleeping well and by the time i got her over to sleep this morning my older kids got up.Its hard but keep telling myself it will pass.I hope your situation improves soon.Its not much fun feeling sleep deprived!

ches Sat 17-Oct-09 21:57:24

With my 2.5 yo I tell him it's sleep time. He wakes around 5am to do a big wee and generally wants to get up then. I just tell him it's still sleep time. If he fusses I put him on the floor. If he gets up I leave him in the dark. It doesn't take him long to get back into bed with me and go back to sleep. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now