Talk

Advanced search

My 5 month old was sleeping through the night

(7 Posts)
RsMom Fri 16-Oct-09 17:28:57

Hi,
My five month old has been on a pretty regular routine of going to bed around 6:30/7pm and getting up at 6am since she was around 3 1/2 months old. Suddenly, this has changed. She is waking up several times throughout the night for her soother, to be re-swaddled and then to eat around 3:30/4:30am. I don't know what happened. We've made sure that she has a nice full belly before going to bed.
Am I expecting to much for her to be able to sleep through the night yet?

Drooper Fri 16-Oct-09 19:15:54

Do you think she might be having a growth spurt or teething and that is waking her up?

Or is she showing signs of getting ready for weaning.

Difficult to know, but you have my sympathy. Sometimes it's harder to adjust than if they had never started to sleep through!

Just think, this too shall pass smile

strawberrie Sat 17-Oct-09 21:09:47

It could well be a growth spurt - my DD's sleep went to pot at 18 weeks [sob] having slept through from 11 weeks, and for a few days she was feeding like a demon. Sadly it has not recovered and she is now 27 weeks and we are still feeding once or twice through the night, but I live in hope. I have found it more tiring than when she was a newborn, so it's more sympathy than advice from me I'm afraid!

Marinochka Sun 18-Oct-09 07:51:26

Mine was sleeping through the night since she was 16 weeks old. Then something happenned and she was up 3-4 times per night asking to be fed or just crying. Her day naps went all over the place too. The nurse saw her red cheecks, dribbles and said she was teething. A week later it all passed, no teeth came out though.

With a little help she went back to her old routine. I had to do some work to get her to sleep through the night again - getting up when she was calling at night, swaddling her and giving her a dummy. If she were going back to sleep relatively easy I was leaving it at that. If she were protesting and I could see that she would get upset - I would feed her. I think she stopped waking up to be fed a week later.

Though, she still wakes up at 5 or 6 in the morning, and I get up to give her a dummy. Then she sleeps till about 07:30.

Hopefully it all comes back to normal for your little one.

RsMom Sun 18-Oct-09 23:15:20

Thanks for all the advice and support!!!

kkmam Tue 10-Nov-09 12:18:04

My 5 month old has been sleeping from 6pm till 8.30am since 2 months old.We knew it could'nt last.For the past few nights she has been waking at 3am and won't settle till she has had a feed.I never gave her a soother and don't want to start now.She is on solids for about a month and I think the only reason she is waking is because she has got clever and knows she can get a feed if she looks for it.She quickly settles after a quick feed.I have been told to give her water for a few nights so that she will realise its not worth waking up for.Has anyone tried this?

AvonBarksdale Tue 10-Nov-09 12:49:13

5 month old babies haven't the cognitive capabilities to be "clever"! If she's waking at 3am and settling after a feed it is because she is HUNGRY! Don't deny her food by giving her water, just feed her. She'll stop in her own time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now